Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What was your biggest waste of money? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-your-biggest-waste-money-t202622.html)

Onebyone 03-12-2015 04:45 AM

Well, I loved the John Flynn frame. I used it all the time. It took practice and I almost gave up but once the AH HA moment kicked in it was smooth quilting from then on. I used it to quilt king size quilts in sections. I never had a problem getting the quilt on the frame that I remember.

Pat G 03-17-2015 11:50 AM

Slider

Originally Posted by deedum (Post 5569962)
I bought the super slider FM thing, it just didn't work for me. I wasted my money there.

I'm so glad you mention this Super Slider. It seemed great in theory but it didn't for me at all. Kept sliding around & bunching up in the quilt. It ended up under the needle & got ripped. I even tried taping it but that didn't work either. I sure use the gloves though.

Lovequilting22 03-17-2015 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by sewmary (Post 5571402)
Oh yeah, that's me too. Had to have a serger. Have used it a total of an hour or two. Can't thread the darn thing. Paperweight!

i can thread mine fine, but the tension is killing me. I've not given up yet, but if you see a story on the news of a serger dropped off a bridge in Eastern PA, you will know it was me.

lorimax5859 03-18-2015 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone (Post 7124629)
Well, I loved the John Flynn frame. I used it all the time. It took practice and I almost gave up but once the AH HA moment kicked in it was smooth quilting from then on. I used it to quilt king size quilts in sections. I never had a problem getting the quilt on the frame that I remember.

Thank you!!! I just bought the frame but after reading all the comments against I'm having second thoughts. It will be delivered tomorrow. I'm holding my breath! What was your AH HA moment???

Prettiptibbs 03-19-2015 01:13 PM

I too bought the slider sheet at MQX and that for me was a waste.

Pat G 03-19-2015 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by JeanieG (Post 7091469)
lorli - I love my June Taylor Shape Cut Plus Ruler (big square ruler with slits)! I use it all the time! It is used to cut almost any size strips from your fabric. A lot of quilts use 2", 2 1/2" or larger fabric strips.

Here is a video on how to use this ruler:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pETsJf2nNQE

Jeannie & Lori
I also have this tool but I always forget about it. I'm constantly having to turn my fabric to true up the edge but wouldn't have to if I could just remember. Duuuh
i had no idea I could cut the other shapes with it til I watched the video.
Thanks, Pat

Colorful1 03-19-2015 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by panderz (Post 7090758)
I have literally read every comment for 19 pages. I LOVE this thread. So many of the things people have talked about are things I have never heard of so it was nice to learn more about the options out there. Some of the things I had heard of and thought about purchasing but now might put off on. If someone more experienced hasn't used them then I probably won't either.
Can't wait to try out the all the different ruler. Although I think I will try and just buy the clear ones. I have been doing lots of research for the rotary cutters. I know I need one but don't want to spend the money on one that isn't worth it. any brand suggestions are welcome! I already have a matt but will probably buy another one as this one is dark grey and orange and hard to see.

<3Mandi<3

I've amassed a collection of rotary cutters (Martelli, Olfa, Kai, Fiskars, Gingher, etc.) and my favorite mfr. hands down is Kai. They produce their own rotary cutter as well as Omnigrid's and F&P's. Different colors, same design...it has a lock, a built-in safety shield, a thickness adjustment, and a soft grip handle in strategic places. Easy to use, change blade, etc. Their blades are also extremely long lasting (much longer than the best-selling brands) provided you don't cut pins, etc.

As for mats: I like Olfa and Omnigrid. I use my rotating Olfa mats regularly.
Didnt care for Fiskars and Gingher mats.

Rulers: Creative Grids, and Olfa frosted rulers are my preferred choices.

Good luck in your quest!

littlebitoheaven 03-19-2015 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by panderz (Post 7090758)
I have literally read every comment for 19 pages. I LOVE this thread. So many of the things people have talked about are things I have never heard of so it was nice to learn more about the options out there. Some of the things I had heard of and thought about purchasing but now might put off on. If someone more experienced hasn't used them then I probably won't either.
Can't wait to try out the all the different ruler. Although I think I will try and just buy the clear ones. I have been doing lots of research for the rotary cutters. I know I need one but don't want to spend the money on one that isn't worth it. any brand suggestions are welcome! I already have a matt but will probably buy another one as this one is dark grey and orange and hard to see.

<3Mandi<3

Mandi! I just purchased the rotary cutter that Eleanor Burns sells on her website. It is by far the easiest to change the blade. She demonstrates it in her video "Neavoux Wedding Ring". Good luck.

Pam H 03-19-2015 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by JeanieG (Post 7091469)
lorli - I love my June Taylor Shape Cut Plus Ruler (big square ruler with slits)! I use it all the time! It is used to cut almost any size strips from your fabric. A lot of quilts use 2", 2 1/2" or larger fabric strips.

Here is a video on how to use this ruler:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pETsJf2nNQE

I used my shape cut ruler yesterday to sub-cut some strips I had sewn together. I cut them at 2 1/2". Easy peasy. Too bad each one is just a bit short of 2 1/2" I borrowed my friend's create grids ruler with the slits. I will try it out tonight to see if it is more accurate. I'll let you know!

DonnaPBradshaw 03-19-2015 08:12 PM

So far a cricut is the one that I wish I hadn't spent my money on.