Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What is your favorite book on quilting? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-your-favorite-book-quilting-t203966.html)

Patti25314 10-22-2012 01:10 PM

What is your favorite book on quilting?

I, too, have learned so much from this group, and I've discovered there is a wealth of information out there about resources. One of the things I really enjoy is reading about the books on quilting that others are looking for. So, may I ask, if you could only have one book on quilting, what would it be? Thanks.

Stitchnripper 10-22-2012 01:12 PM

My favorite is the Better Homes and Gardens Complete Guide to Quilting. One of the things I like about it is that it uses photographs and not drawings.

mltquilt 10-22-2012 01:56 PM

My favorite quilting book was written by Fons and Porter called "Quilter's Complete Guide.". It has lots of basic information.

mltquilt

wishfulthinking 10-22-2012 02:00 PM

I'm with Stitchnripper, the Better Homes & Gardens book has been so useful. I think I refer to it for something on every quilt I make.

sandilee 10-22-2012 02:19 PM

"Quilting for dummies" has been a great reference book for me and its simple to understand. The "dummy" books are great teachers, I think.

batikmystique 10-22-2012 04:18 PM

For the hand quilters out there, Roxanne McElroy's book "That Perfect Stitch" is supposed to be absolutely fabulous. I have not read it or even looked through a copy of it, but after reading many extremely positive reviews I purchased it on blind faith. Can't wait to get it in the mail!

alisonquilts 10-22-2012 04:19 PM

Other than books that are specifically about patterns that I might return to for a particular project, the one book I go back to over and over is "Quilting Makes the Quilt" by Lee Cleland. She made five identical copies of 12 different quilts and quilted them with different patterns to show what a different effect the quilting can have. I am inspired anew each time I look at them!

Alison

Sunnie 10-22-2012 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper (Post 5604537)
My favorite is the Better Homes and Gardens Complete Guide to Quilting. One of the things I like about it is that it uses photographs and not drawings.

My favorite too.

Tartan 10-22-2012 07:23 PM

I borrowed Jinny Beyer's big book of quilt patterns from my library. I would like to own that one but I visit it regularly at the library so that is almost as good.

Dolphyngyrl 10-22-2012 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper (Post 5604537)

Ditto, for the last 9 years this has been my go to book, it encompasses everything from, applique, traditional, backing, binding, machine quilting, and also gives you a lot of charts and discusses threads batting etc. You will not find a more complete book. there are a few nice ones out there, but I have looked at them all and this one is the best written and illustrated IMHO