Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What is your favorite (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-your-favorite-t286176.html)

Kooklabell 02-17-2017 03:20 PM

What is your favorite

quilt fabric shop near you? I'm retiring in exactly 3 months from today :) !! My husband and I will be traveling around the US for the next few years. My lifelong dream is coming to fruition :) My husband searches for military or historical sites to see and I, of course search for quilt shops. So, I'd like to create a list of shops that are "must see".

We had one here near me in Pine Bush, but they have eliminated most of their fabrics for classroom space :( And the one I LOVED in Ipswich, MA just closed :( Thankfully we visited there the week before the closing.

Thank you everyone. Who knows, maybe I will see you there some day. If you see a travel Van with NY plates and FERGUS on the back, that's me :)

tessagin 02-17-2017 03:26 PM

I so envy you.

yngldy 02-17-2017 03:46 PM

Row to Row starts June 21 this year. Go on the website and learn all about it. It lists the participating stores by state. It is fun to do and sometimes you meet quilters from other places that are traveling just like you! http://www.rowbyrowexperience.com/

popover 02-17-2017 03:48 PM

Marshalls Dry Goods. Batesville AR.

sushi 02-17-2017 04:04 PM

We have a wonderful shop in a suburb just west of Minneapolis - Blue Bamboo (mybluebamboo.com). It's tucked away in an industrial park in Plymouth, MN. They specialize in batiks and Asian prints. Fabulous fabrics!

I'll be watching the highways for you:) Good travels!

Kooklabell 02-17-2017 04:49 PM

That sounds like fun. I'll check it out. Thank you yngldy

MadQuilter 02-17-2017 04:55 PM

We're going to Las Vegas next month for a long weekend and I plan to go by the Christmas Goose.
Sacramento, CA has the "Fabric Garden" - Jill has a wide variety of fabrics and patterns.
Atascadero,CA has the Quilter's Cupboard which changed ownership last year. Can't report on the change since I haven't been back.

TexasSunshine 02-17-2017 05:06 PM

Marshall Dry Goods in Arkansas, Missouri Star, of course, (we hope to get there this summer) the Dallas
Fort Worth Metroplex has plenty of good shops

zozee 02-17-2017 05:27 PM

I'm here in Maryland and I can recommend:

Hoppin Bobbin in Aberdeen --lots and lots of quilts on the walls, mostly made by the owner Kelly. It's the shop where I took my first quilting class 5 years ago and fell in love with the hobby. What's there? An entire room for batiks. A longarm in the center of the store where you can watch through "windows" at what's being quilted. A Christmas room, a fairly large selection of juvenile prints. Very good customer service. Your hubby might enjoy the Ordnance Museum in Aberdeen which is within minutes of the Hoppin Bobbin.

You two would probably enjoy going to Havre de Grace which is just one town away from Aberdeen. It's right on the water, complete with Promenade , old lighthouse, a Lock House Museum, quaint shops, and good restaurants (we like Tidewater Grille). You can get right off 95 onto the Aberdeen exit and it's about 2 miles down just before the railroad tracks.

There are a couple other shops in the immediate area (Glory Bee's in Fallston on Rt 1--small, friendly, bright).

A bigger one is up in Towson ( called Bear's Paw) which is loaded with fabric, but the service can be hit-or-miss. It's worth it if you just want to hit one shop off 695.

mamagrande 02-17-2017 05:59 PM

If you are ever in Central California, and traveling on freeway #99 you would be about 13 miles from Reedley and Mennonite Quilt Center. mennonitequiltcenter.com, they are a regular quilt store and If you happen to be there on a Monday morning you would see women around a quilt frame hand quilting.

You should ask to see the show room upstairs that has a collection of quilts from local quilters. In the early spring your would see quilts from along the West Coast, these would be auction off this year on April 7-8 for world relief. You might also see men in the backroom making rag rugs of of old jeans.

There are also very good local eating establishment on the same street.
So, I would very much recommend this place..I was actually a manager there for 10 years.