Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What is Your Favorite "Wierdo" Color to Use in a Quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-your-favorite-wierdo-color-use-quilt-t274980.html)

Doggramma 01-25-2016 06:19 PM

I'm a huge lime green fan. It looks good with purple shades or browns or pinks or turquoise. Face it, it looks good with everything.

RedGarnet222 01-25-2016 06:30 PM

I like to use a tiny bit of an off color to the main quilt color. Say a bright coral in with red and bright pink. Or an orchid in with aqua blue quilts. A dark mustard in with browns and country blues.

Mariposa 01-25-2016 06:35 PM

Depends on other colors in the quilt. I use a lot of hot pink. Purple, lime green and turquoise are other faves~~

quiltingshorttimer 01-25-2016 07:55 PM

Anything bright! Green, blues, turquoise, purples are my favs--with bit of orange or magenta squeezed in-and of course some type of "Dark-dark" to quote Jinny Beyer--doesn't have to be black--dark navy, choc brown, charcoal, eggplant or super dark green all fit well.

Claire123 01-25-2016 11:04 PM

For me it's the intense electric blues in Kaffe's prints/florals. The combo of orange and gray is really growing on me also.
In general I feel safer with smaller projects when I am trying a new color scheme.

DOTTYMO 01-25-2016 11:25 PM

I think it is the combination of colours that are sometimes weird. Can't think of a combo but it is colours which to me, personally clash.

Notwendy 01-25-2016 11:28 PM

I love fuchsia with bright cherry red and a blazing orange. They really pop when placed together. Blue and orange is a favorite as well - anything from a nice mid-century blue with tangerine to a cobalt with a bright orange.

Lime green is wonderful. It is the new black - it matches nothing so goes with everything.

GarageDragon 01-26-2016 03:06 AM

I am heartened (and a little surprised) at the number of people loving lime green - it's my favourite too, I particularly love it with hot pinks (and everything else really...) - I look forward to seeing more in the stores if it's so popular!

ManiacQuilter2 01-26-2016 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 7445511)
​In my scrap quilts anything goes.

I have to agree with Tartan. I pick my focus fabric and go from there.

Sewnoma 01-26-2016 07:38 AM

It's funny, because I dress very boring - almost always I'm wearing black or dark colors - grey, navy blue, burgundy.

My quilts, however...there are no rules, no forbidden colors. I HATE the color orange on me, it looks terrible. But in quilts it's fantastic! I just (finally) finished a quilt top all in shades of orange and teal and I really like it - I would never wear either of those colors but they're great together in my quilt. I haven't decided on backing color yet but I feel like it needs to be a solid, restful color because the front is so bright and busy. Maybe a pale teal.

Pink, I suppose, is the color I dislike the most...however I've made so many baby quilts for little girls that I have quite a bit of pink in my scrap bin!