Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What is your favourite sewing machine and why? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-your-favourite-sewing-machine-why-t145711.html)

totosmom 08-17-2011 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by beebs
I guess I would be doing machine quilting...I really am just starting out..I am at that point where I can't really imagine myself actually quilting(I have moments where I think I'll get a professional to finish the quilts off for me) ... do you think I should just stick with my cheapie machine for now?

Well, does your cheapie machine sew a straight stitch reliably? Machines that don't are just too frustrating to deal with. With my vintage machines, I have no worries about that. And when I wanted to actually quilt the top, they are excellent for straight quilting ( grids, in the ditch, etc). For the bells and whistles, I use the Bernina, but I love, love, love my oldies.

So in the end, if your cheapie sews a great stitch and is reliable, I'd say stick with it ... at least for now.

klc 08-17-2011 04:25 AM

I know what you mean. I love my Janome Horizon for so many reasons. The harp space is wonderful.

Judi in Ohio 08-17-2011 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by beebs
I guess I would be doing machine quilting...I really am just starting out..I am at that point where I can't really imagine myself actually quilting(I have moments where I think I'll get a professional to finish the quilts off for me) I know it sounds bad, but it looks so intricate and hard! I need to join a class. So basically at this point I have finished a top - but haven't acutally done anything else.....do you think I should just stick with my cheapie machine for now? I have been collecting gorgeous fabric for 5 years now....I have heaps and I absolutley have to use it or my hubby will freak!! :)

Do not stick with your cheapy. Buy something you will enjoy sewing with. I have literally owned every brand. My brand of choice now is the Juki's. Reasonable, more powerful motors, price ranges for all, lots of bells & whistles. Most important, fun to sew with.
Judi

meemersmom 08-17-2011 04:33 AM

I really like my Viking Designer and my Pfaff QE 4.0, but my favorite of all is my Featherweight 221. Every time I use it, the sound reminds me of my grandmother sewing on hers. She's been gone a long time now, but I have that memory just as clear as day -- I know it sounds silly, but it makes me feel like I have her back here again with me, if only in my mind. Many times I will piece a top on the FW and quilt it on one of the others, because there is a time and a place for all the modern bells and whistles.

mpspeedy 08-17-2011 04:35 AM

I just had to replace my beloved Bernina 1260. I went back to the local dealer and made a great deal on a used Bernina Artista 185. I didn't need the embroidery module and I don't machine quilt anything bigger than a Linus quilt so I wasn't interested in the bigger throat area. I got it for at least a third of what it sold for new. He even gave me store credit for all of the feet I had purchased over the years for the 1260 which I was able to use to purchase the feet and extra bobbins I needed for the newer machine.It has loads of built in decorative stitches and the wider stitch widith that allows for even better decorative motifs. I was shocked how expensive the bobbins are but I have been busy rounding up the dozens of old bobbins I have. I am pretty sure he will make me a deal for a number of the new ones I need in exchange. I had purchased a much less expensive Bernina thinking to take it on retreat etc. since it is much lighter in weight. I thought I could get along with just it when my 1260 died. I learned the hard way that the extra weight in the machine is what makes it so reliable. The vibration in the lighter machine when I put the pedal to the metal drove me crazy. I kept it for retreats and workshops but I can't stand to sew on it daily.

gigi4419 08-17-2011 04:54 AM

I like my 401A and FW.

Lori S 08-17-2011 05:10 AM

I have a few machines the two I love the most are my vintage Singer 306W , and a Viking 500 ( not alot of bells and whistles).
I just LOVE the knee control of the old singer , I can really speed sew on that machine. But the Viking had a few of the bells and whistles I just love .. like the special feet . But if I was forced to make a choice and could only have one.... it would be the Viking 500 . Its a model that came out in the 90's so you could probably pick up a used one fairly inexpensively. Note : there is also a 400 model... it is the same machine just a few less stitches.
If only I could get a new machine with the speed knee control like the old machines... now thats perfection!

sueisallaboutquilts 08-17-2011 05:34 AM

This is a tough one to answer. I have a nice Bernina but I seem to use my Featherweight more and more!! I love the old Singers!!

Annaquilts 08-17-2011 05:41 AM

Newer machines the Janome 6500 and for the vintage machines there are too many to choose from. For the Janome 6500 I like the throat space, knee lifter and automatic thread cutter. For the vintage machines Feather weight, singer 301, Singer 401,Bernina 830 (love the knee lifter), Singer 201, Singer 15-91 etc.

Mariposa 08-17-2011 05:48 AM

I have a Pfaff 7510, and it has been reliable for years. Recently got a Featherweight, and it sews a great straight stitch! Also just got a Singer 301A, so will see on it!
Happy shopping!