Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What was your inspiration? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-your-inspiration-t91601.html)

Treasureit 01-18-2011 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by MrsM
I always wanted to learn. My mom sewed some things when we were little but never had the time to teach us. A friend of mine mentioned going to a quilt camp while we were watching our children play soccer. I told her that I would like to go with her some time. She got me the info to sign up for the camp the following year. I went and was hooked. I attended four more camps with her. The expense just got to be too much. She still goes.

You reminded me of another inspiration that has helped me stay motivated....a friend gave me a book for my birthday last year...Elm Creek Quilts series by Jennifer Cheverini (sp?) Reading those made me want to go to quilt camp too. Never have - yet!

EagarBeez 01-18-2011 01:22 PM

I was visiting a John Wayne museum and they had a puff quilt on one of the beds. I fell in love with it, looked on the internet how to make one and I did. No experience at quilting. Even did not like sewing in Home Ec in school those many, many years ago. Now I love it.
Each quilt I make, I challenge myself a little bit more

jojo47 01-18-2011 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by kat112000
I needed to get out of the house and have some adult time without a sick baby! Learning to quilt seemed like a better plan than heading to the bar!

LOL! I like your way of thinking! :-D

jojo47 01-18-2011 01:34 PM

My grandmother quilted...used a lot of the scraps from the clothing my mom made for me. Mom also quilted. I had the desire, but didn't really get started on quilting until about 9 years ago, when I visited my sister in Montana and she signed us up for a quilt class...and I didn't know BEANS about the craft! After I got back home, I signed up for the beginner's quilt class at our LQS, and later took the second class (a little more advanced) and the rest is history. I still don't have time to do as much quilting as I'd like, but I'm working on it!

pab58 01-18-2011 01:56 PM

I was always intrigued by my grandmother's quilt frame. Actually, she always tied her quilts (I guess some people wouldn't call these quilts at all but comforters or blankets), and she hung the frame from the ceiling in one of her downstairs bedrooms. Then, when I was 12 years old, my aunt (my grandmother's daughter) taught me how to make my first quilt block. It was a Sunbonnet Sue block. She taught me the blanket stitch, and I still have those cute little blocks to this day -- never did finish them! :oops: We used scraps of fabric from dresses and pantsuits (remember those??!!) that she had made for herself and for my grandmother. And get this!! The fabrics were all 100% polyester -- double-knit!!!!!!! :shock: They made the cutest little Sues, and I certainly didn't have to worry about the fabric fraying!! :lol: My mother never sewed (well, except for what she had to make in high school sewing classes!) and never really enjoyed it. I was the "seamstress" in the family. I've made everything from doll clothes to baby clothes to dresses and skirts to men's and women's pantsuits to men's dress shirts to wool coats to Christmas and Easter dresses for my nieces and everything else in between!! With the price of dress fabric and patterns so high I haven't made any clothes in years. Now, I simply buy my clothing when it's on sale, on the clearance racks, or in outlet malls!!!

So because I rarely ever make clothing anymore, quilting has become my passion, and I think it will stay my passion for years to come!!!! :thumbup:

Quiltforme 01-18-2011 03:35 PM

Elleanor Burns Quilt book. The one with the around the world and a bargello type one. I fell in love with the bargello one and made 30 quilts my first year. I still to this day love her stuff!

jwatmough 01-19-2011 04:32 AM

I volunteered at a local Cancer Center in TX and one of our patients gave us a quilt to hang in the Center. I used to look at that quilt each time I was there and, over time, realized that I could maybe do that so I tried it one day and have been hooked ever since.

MerryQuilter 01-19-2011 05:10 AM

Took sewing in home ec and then a class in community and was hooked had to go slow while raising 4 children but soo fulfilling!

quilt3311 01-19-2011 05:11 AM

My husband--he brought home an old quilt from the landfill, wanted it washed so he could use it in the shop. (this was back before trash pickup, we had to haul our trash to a landfill.) I thought "eeewwww" but washed it, figured I could disinfect the machine after it was done. Anyway it was an old red and white quilt, well worn, but it hit something inside that said, OH I love this thing. Started looking for the name of the quilt and eventually found out it was called Sawtooth. That really started my obsession. Then a neighbors mother came to spend the winter and she was quilting, so learned how to piece from her. Its been downhill ever since. Now a day without some stitching is a day lost.

grann of 6 01-19-2011 05:15 AM

My dear departed neighbor. She & her husband went to Fla every winter, and she would bring home things she made in little classes down there. She got me into place mats, and from there it just bloomed. Then when she passed away, her husband gave me her little stash, her sewing machine, and an unfinished quilt she had started for ME while they were in Fla for the last time. Well, I was determined to finish it the way she wanted and would have done. The rest is history. One day I will post a pic of that quilt. So every stitch I take I ask myself if it would be good enough for Phyllis. Miss her so much.