Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What is your most useful quilt size, and why, especially if (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-your-most-useful-quilt-size-why-especially-if-t292674.html)

Dolphyngyrl 11-18-2017 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH (Post 7946297)
Nobody in my family likes lap size and I don't either. We like them bigger to curl up in. I make twin size up to queen, with a king for our bed. I've made 3 for our bed but had them longarmed.

Me too. laps always seem to short. I need at least a twin to cuddle in

JanieH 11-18-2017 12:13 PM

I make twin and queen size quilts mostly.
The twin size can be cuddled under on the couch as well as being used on the bed.
The queen size, obviously, can fit my queen size bed and serve well as a "bedspread" for a full size bed. They can also work well as a coverlet on a king size bed.

Tothill 11-18-2017 01:50 PM

Minimum of 60x60 to 80x80 for lap/couch quilts. 60x60 is the minimum I need to snuggle.

For the cuddle factor back with flannel or microfleece.

I have made rag quilts that were twin sized for kids.

If I ever finish my son's quilt it will be a large queen.

ShirlR 11-18-2017 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 7945988)
I like about 60-75 wide by 80-85 long, What I call "couch size" - big enough to cover one entirely if one goes "horizontal" on the couch.

Plus I can wrestle that size through my machine.

Yes, this is a great size for the couch. So many of the throws that one buys are not long enough to cover the feet. A friend gifted me the most cushy, wonderfully warm, commercially-made throw, but if I want to use it for a little nap on the couch, I have to turn it on the diagonal so that it covers my feet and shoulders as well.

NoraB 11-19-2017 07:36 AM

Mousie, I understand the "postage cost" situation. I do Quilts of Valor and long-armed it. I was assigned to send it to someone in Germany! Boy, never again! I now work with a local chapter that donates to the local recipients...so no more mailing!

I wanted to suggest for the child-type fabric......check on the Project Linus web-site to see if there is a local contact. When I go to the Project Linus luncheons in our town, they always have a room full of donated yarn and another room full of donated fabric. Perhaps there is someone near you who can come pick up the fabric.

Good luck and hope you are still able to enjoy quilting. We do what we can at the pace we enjoy.

Becky's Crafts 11-19-2017 08:03 AM

I make either queen sized quilts or large lap quilts. I've found the most loved ones are a bit longer than most as some of my relatives like to pull it right up around their ears with plenty of coverage left for their feet!

sailsablazin 11-19-2017 11:03 AM

We are a TALL family. (son is 6'8", DH 6'5"). A throw would cover my lap but then my shoulders would be cold so--I make twin and beyond.. Usually turn out to be queen sized. I want a quilt to go up to my chin and be able to wrap it around my toes. I also hand quilt so don't have many of these completed as of yet. I do have 5 in progress right now...with many more laid out to get going on... Lap size would never be touched in my house.

bearisgray 11-19-2017 11:07 AM

I also like to be covered from around my feet to up over my ears - especially when it's chilly in the house.

Pennyhal 11-19-2017 11:57 AM

The size I lke to make best is 60" x 84. I always keep one at the foot of my bed in case I get cold. When I teach someone how to quilt, I use this size because it goes together quickly and is so useful as others have said.

Mousie 11-19-2017 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by NoraB (Post 7946955)
Mousie, I understand the "postage cost" situation. I do Quilts of Valor and long-armed it. I was assigned to send it to someone in Germany! Boy, never again! I now work with a local chapter that donates to the local recipients...so no more mailing!

I wanted to suggest for the child-type fabric......check on the Project Linus web-site to see if there is a local contact. When I go to the Project Linus luncheons in our town, they always have a room full of donated yarn and another room full of donated fabric. Perhaps there is someone near you who can come pick up the fabric.

Good luck and hope you are still able to enjoy quilting. We do what we can at the pace we enjoy.

it might be worth it to contact them and find out if there is one where all my doctors are.
I have no problem with taking the fabrics to them if I have an appointment.
I have four granddaughters and they have outgrown some of this stuff and I just don't
feel like trying to sell it and mail it. You couldn't get enough for your bother and I've got
some nice stuff. Rather try this. thank you, NoraB