Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What is your "must have" quilting tool? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-your-must-have-quilting-tool-t261213.html)

MFord 02-13-2015 05:50 PM

I find that the Fiskars titanium rotary blades last much longer than either the regular Fiskars or Olfa blades.

pocoellie 02-13-2015 05:50 PM

Other than the usual supplies, (i.e., scissors, etc.) my go to ruler is my June Tailor Shape Cut ruler, I do have a couple of regular quilting rulers, but it's the one I usually use. I would say, get the largest cutting mat that you can afford. I prefer the "ergonomically" correct 45mm Olfa cutter.

Rose S. 02-13-2015 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by MFord (Post 7089324)
I find that the Fiskars titanium rotary blades last much longer than either the regular Fiskars or Olfa blades.

I think I saw those, but had totally forgot about it. I wondered at the time if they would be better...I know everyone swears by the titanium needles and I haven't tried those either.

NJ Quilter 02-13-2015 08:20 PM

My recommendations would be a minimum of a 6.5 x 24" ruler with 45 and 60 degree markings in colors that work for you. I personally would like an 8" x 24" ruler but have not found one that I'm willing to part with the $$ for yet. A self-healing mat if that is not what you have. In the largest size you can afford. If you have a coupon, a 12" (minimum) rotating cutting mat if you do many HST's. Otherwise no particular need for that.

I'm not a fan of specialty tools for the most part. I do have a tiny little metal 'ruler' that has little 'legs' on it for 1/4"; 5/8"; 1/2" and I forget the 4th measurement. I think I paid about $2.50 for it. Nice little tool to double check measurements. I do have a couple of specialty triangle rulers but that's about it. I've not had a need for other specialty tools other than the above that I've not been able to manage with my normal rulers/tools.

My only other recommendation - buy all the same brand rulers of varying sizes as you go along. The measurements will then be consistent among them if you decide to change ruler sizes during the various stages of block/quilt construction. Otherwise, use the same ruler throughout your quilt construction to make sure your measurements are consistent throughout your quilt.

Jim 02-14-2015 12:14 AM

By far my favorite tool of all is my June Tailor Shape Cut...period

bjhumes 02-14-2015 04:11 AM

I love the small T pins to use to pin things flat with NO bulging head to pull material out of alignment. They are NOT easy to find...I ordered some that were so large they would hold pictures on the wall so buy wisely. I just got the cutting board with ironing pad on other side and I'm loving it! Most quilt pieces are small and it speeds up my running to ironing board so I can iron and stitch.

Edie 02-14-2015 04:14 AM

A tweezers to pull thread through the needle on my sewing machine and a needle nose to pull up the thread when I am tying a quilt. And, of course, a glass with a rather wide foot that will hold a nice glass of wine on the sewing table so I won't knock it over. Got 'em all! Edie

Suz 02-14-2015 04:41 AM

For me, it would be a toss up between my FMQ gloves or my bent-handled scissors. The scissors are very sharp and when I've pieced and added the leader/ender, it is so easy to cut the two apart behind the needle w/these scissors.

BerninaGirl 02-14-2015 05:08 AM

Rotary Cutter, mat and creative grid rulers are my must haves in addition to the basics.

donnajean 02-14-2015 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by #1piecemaker (Post 7089312)
What is the slidelock and what does it do?

I have some extra thin "silk" pins that I use to match up points & seams. They don't break the needle if you just have to keep them in place. Also, could not do without my large safety pins for putting the quilt sandwich together.