Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   what are your personal quality standards? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-your-personal-quality-standards-t33300.html)

cumberlandquiltchick 01-07-2010 05:30 PM

I think about the Pioneer Women. The antique quilts are not perfect and yet so beautiful! Love what ya do is what I say!
A local quiltshop owner here IS a perfectionist! It drives me crazy to go into her shop. I finally realized one day that maybe the reason she is this way is this way is because she never had children. I'd much rather have a FINISHED quilt, than a bunch of unfinished projects(I have those anyways!)that I've obsessed over not doing unless they are perfect. Let me put it this way, when I give away my quilts, and I give away almost ALL of them, I've YET to have anyone return one..... they love them. Sandra

sewbaby 01-07-2010 05:33 PM

Im a perectionist, and Im perfectly happy to finish one and it look good enough that no one else notices that one block is upside down or some such as that

dakotamaid 01-07-2010 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by maryb119
I am picky about my quilting but I don't expect perfection. I do the best job I can but when it come down to it, nothing is perfect. I want it to look good and a small imerfection here and there just give it character.

Ditto!!

MollieSue 01-07-2010 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by granny216
Use what talents you possess. " The woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those who sang best."

I love that quote, Granny216! I've printed it off! :)

I think I'm a 'perfectionist wannabe', and know it'll never happen. It's hard for me sometimes seeing all the absolutely beautiful work on here, then looking at mine...

I do have to make sure all my points, seams match, or they get ripped. But seldom do my blocks ever come out the same, right size. I just cut them all down a hair. ;)

And my kids and grandkids all know how much goes into the quilts I make for them - I've made sure I've told them! lol!!! And they do truly love them. :)

So the lessen in the this great post for me is - to quit comparing my stuff to the rest of yours! 'Cozy Quiltin', here I come!!! :) :)

Grammie Sharon 01-07-2010 06:53 PM

The Boy Scout motto is "Do Your Best". As Scoutmaster of our troop this is something I always reminded the boys and have used with myself and my own children. With each project you improve your skills. To me what is perfect is seeing that smile on the recipients face or the tears in their eyes as they open their handmade quilt and know it was made with love, not that each square is exactly the size as the pattern or the points are all even.

This Christmas I made two table runnners. The first one had mistakes, The second one those mistakes were corrected but others were made.The runners were stitch as you go. On the 2nd one in my bobbin I used white thread (gold would have been better). The backing was green with gold and black specks.My lines were straighter than in the first but I didn't think about the thread color. The runner came out "perfect" except for the thread color. I thought about tearing it out but didn't. My coworkers tears said it all. It was perfect to her. Knowing I "did my best" and her tears and smiles said it all. Most of all I learned from each of my projects. And I enjoy what I am doing.

GrammaNan 01-07-2010 07:51 PM

I never thought of that! That makes me feel a lot better! :lol:

Ellie 01-07-2010 08:33 PM

I'm definetly a "cozy quilter". I'm not, nor will I ever be perfect. The feeling of being hugged by the quilter each time you snuggle in a handmade quilt is "perfect".

Deecee 01-07-2010 11:56 PM

I always do my very best each time - AT WHATEVER LEVEL THAT MAY BE.

I am happy with what I finish and hopefully I improve with each quilt I do and each new technique I learn.

Sandy1951 01-08-2010 01:21 AM

When I first started reading about quilting, I made the mistake of picking up Harriet Hargraves' "Machine Quilting." It scared me to death! I almost decided quilting wasn't for me. Instead I returned it to the library and got out some beginner books, which were much less terrifying.

Since then I've read Harriet's book and appreciate it and I have tremendous respect for her. I would love to do show-quality work, but I doubt I will ever have the patience. I want to improve, but I also want to enjoy what I'm doing.

Perhaps you should read Lisa Boyer's "That Dorky Homemade Look" and "Stash Envy" instead! :D

watterstide 01-08-2010 02:28 AM

I like being a "cozy quilter"..i love to see all the eye candy, and appreciate all the hard, and intricate work that goes into quilting,patterns, applique..but i love scrappy,usable quilts..we use the quilts and this house, they are on the beds, on the couches, and my dogs lay on them with me..
I made an elvis quilt for a friend..and she refuses to use it or let anyone else, sit on it! lol! it is on a rocker..to show off..not exactly what i had in mind ,but to each his own.
i was asked to make another one as a job..had to turn it down..to stressful for me, to make one for money..i would be constantly fretting over it..not worth it. i would rather donate them,gift them..etc..I make cage comforters for the local animal rescure...and baby quilts for the hospital..i am perfectly happy doing that!
I try my best to make them really nice, not perfect..
i have a "perfect" quilt, and it sits in a pillow case, so it won't get dirty or dog hair on it..useless if you ask me! lol!