Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What are your suggestions for a 1st timer to Paducah? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-your-suggestions-1st-timer-paducah-t111482.html)

quilt3311 03-29-2011 04:17 AM

Comfortable, well broken in shoes--fashion stops at the knees. Well fitting back pack or over one shoulder bag. Around the waist "fanny pack" for $$ credit cards etc. camera,
Don't miss Hancock fabric, the mall, the candy shop that is downtown by the art museum.

Carol J. 03-29-2011 04:24 AM

Been there 7 times and my daughter 12 and going again, not me though. Take your time and see the quilts a couple times, there are so many. Get there early to visit the vendors, gets very crowded. Free bus service and often private citizens will pick you up and take you to the show. They go all out to make you comfortable and welcome.
I enjoyed visiting the museum the most and some of the historic sites. Talk to everyone you see, people come from all over the world and even if you can't understand them, smile a lot. I took hand painted thimbles I made and gave them to people from other countries with a big smile to let them know Americans are glad to see them here. I received a guild pin from a young lady from Scotland one time.
Be yourself and treat everyone else like a long lost friend. Hancocks, Rotary club, the mall, the museum, the wall, downtown, Eleanor Burns and be prepared to walk alot.
Have fun and ask for help from anyone in a red jacket.
And the flowes are beautiful this time of the year.
Carol J.

gmaybee 03-29-2011 04:41 AM

I take address labels so if they have drawings you can put on an address label, and not have to take the time to fill out the entry form.

Sienna's GiGi 03-29-2011 04:42 AM

I heard all about Paducah and I wish I could go. I would say just unwind and have a good time. Don't buy the first thing you see and take lots of pictures, network and meet new friends!

Traditional 03-29-2011 04:49 AM

I have never enjoyed a quilt show as much as Paducah.
I don't think you will want to fight the crowd with a cart (I'm not sure if carts are allowed) I suggest a bag, take snacks/water the lines are really long at lunch time.
Have fun.

barb12makeitsew 03-29-2011 04:55 AM

Don't forget the First Presbyterian Dinner and the Broadway United Methodist Church Dinner. Great value - great price. Make reservations early.

vickimc 03-29-2011 04:58 AM

Have fun.

take a small pad and pencil or pen. as you look thru the venders write down the booth number and what you were thinking about, so you can find it again easy. I just did that in Houston. I looked and made notes, then went back to buy and look some more.

o'yea, have fun

bcap911 03-29-2011 05:30 AM

Be sure to hit the Eleanor Burns show and Fabric Tent at Carson Park. Well worth the trip. Each day she has a color of the day which is discounted just for that day. Fabric is usually
$5.00 per yard. Great Buys.

Stitchalong 03-29-2011 05:32 AM

Comfortable shoes, fanny pack or small purse you don't have to carry. Money, credit card and if you have room checkbook. Some venders had difficulty getting wireless access for the credit cards, so I wrote checks. Don't forget your camera to bring back all the memories. I went last year and had a wonderful time. Have fun! Don't forget to go to Hancocks, it is wonderful.

QuiltingGrannie 03-29-2011 05:46 AM

All the above that others have mentioned. I've not been to Paducah, but we are going this year. We have been to other shows.

Remember to do a lot of stretching, bending over once in a while to stretch out your back. I was in so much pain for several days after the show from walking even with comfortable shoes. I will take a smaller purse this time around - and let my DH carry the bag of goodies!

Check out the web site and see what classes are being offered. They fill up fast so if you want to take any classes book them as early as you can.
I know there are several vendors that will be open down town in store fronts.