Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What's the best way to apply letters on a quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/whats-best-way-apply-letters-quilt-t269266.html)

patti p 08-26-2015 08:21 PM

What's the best way to apply letters on a quilt?

Hi there all my very gifted quilters, I am feeling a bit nervous I was asked to make a quilt to be raffled to help raise fundS for our local school sports they want the school team name and letters on the quilt I have searched for ideas and now have a pattern in mind and the school colors are a dark navy blue and gold. So I am trying not to stray from those colors but want to make it look good. As you can tell I am feeling nervous ! I have not done to much applique and that is how I feel I need to apply the gold letters they will be about 3" inches any help / suggestions would be great.

Feathers-N-Fur 08-26-2015 08:55 PM

Paper backed fusible web, then satin stitch, blanket stitch or do raw edge applique. You can do a search to see what each technique lookalike and decide which way you refer.

DOTTYMO 08-26-2015 09:50 PM

Ditto Feathers-N-Fur. I think blanket stitch may look hand made and be the easiest, just go slow.

Bree123 08-26-2015 11:02 PM

I love applique. You'll be fine. Here's what I would do step-by-step:

1) Print out letters on your computer in exact size you want
2) Go shopping! Buy 100% cotton fabric, WonderUnder fusible web & thread that matches your applique fabric (I use Aurifil 50/2, but any lightweight cotton thread will do).
3) Place letters right side down on paper side of fusible web & trace with a pencil. By "right side down", I mean the letters should look like the backwards R in Toys'R'Us.
4) Rough cut around letters. You'll want to leave at least 1/4" around each letter ... more if you're like me & cut squares because you're more concerned about saving time than that extra 2" of fabric.
5) Fuse web to wrong side of fabric following instructions provided.
6) Cut out letters on the drawn line.
7) Peel off paper backing & fuse applique to the right side of your background fabric following instructions provided.
8) Set machine to blanket or applique stitch (some machines call it a "buttonhole stitch"). If you have a really, really old machine like my Singer Genie, you can make do with a Zig-Zag, but that's really not ideal. At that point, you're better off doing it by hand. If you have the option of Needle Down, use that. Load thread that matches your applique fabric in the top & bobbin.
9) Do a small practice piece to ensure your stitch width & length look good. Doesn't have to be a letter. You can use a small fabric scrap fused to remnant fabric, just something to help you set your stitch. This is the one part that's easiest to mess up (ask me how I figured that out).
9) Slowly work your way around the applique. Bring the presser foot up & turn slightly for any gentle curves (like an S) taking a little at a time. If you want to be really fancy, you can reduce your stitch length as you approach a point (like an A) so you are able to take a stitch right at the point. It supposedly reinforces the tip, but mostly the fusible should be sufficient.
10) Quilt as desired.

11) CELEBRATE! You did it & it wasn't even that hard!

You can​ do this. Just take it step by step & ask questions here if you get stuck. :)

GingerK 08-27-2015 04:18 AM

You could also paper piece the letters instead of applique. It would be a little different.

Onebyone 08-27-2015 04:26 AM

If you can find a copy of the book Fat Quarter Fonts it get it. It's the only way I will ever do letters or numbers on a quilt that will be used a lot.

patti p 08-27-2015 05:33 AM

Thank you so much for the detailed steps,

DebraK 08-27-2015 07:08 AM

yep, paper piecing is a great way to go. Craftsy offers a couple of alphabet patterns.

thimblebug6000 08-27-2015 08:37 AM

Here's a link to one I made with lettering, I just found a font on my computer that I liked the look of and enlarged it to the size I wanted. Great instructions already for you here, I did satin stitching on this one and it has stood up to some rough treatment now with her grandkids enjoying it as well. http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...s-t220987.html

patti p 08-27-2015 06:05 PM

That is a great quilt your letters blend in so nice thimblebug6000