Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What's the difference between (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/whats-difference-between-t183198.html)

SWEETPEACHES 03-18-2012 05:41 AM

What's the difference between

fusible fleece
fusible interfacing
fusible wonder under

I've been using Pellon fusible fleece in my handbags - per instructions. I'm unable to find a bolt of it on Joann's website but the others are available. Would I be happy with something else or should I stick with fleece.

Buckeye Rose 03-18-2012 05:47 AM

Wonder Under is a fusible designed to stick one fabric to another, adding no weight or strength .....fusible interfacing comes in many different weights and is designed to give strength to finished item, like collars, buttonhole areas, etc......am guessing the fusible fleece is designed for quilters, to make the quilting process easier - giving the loft and some strength to a finished item while holding the fabric and batting in place (no slips or puckers).

SWEETPEACHES 03-18-2012 05:50 AM

Thanks. I wonder if the interfacing would make the bag too stiff. ?

Krisb 03-18-2012 05:58 AM

Interfacings comes in different weights, for use with different fabrics and in different applications. Lightweight just adds a little body but fabric will still drape, medium adds more, etc. none of them will add any loft or any real thickness.

Bobbielinks 03-18-2012 06:02 AM

Wonder Under is usually used to bond two fabrics together. Fusible interfacing will give a little stiffness to collars and cuffs on shirts. Fusible fleece is often used as the batting when making vests, tablerunners, or placemats. The fusible fleece gives the item a little thickness helping any quilting texture to show nicely without the bulk of regular quilt batting. Does this help any? I would think you might want to stick with the fleece for the handbags. But that is just my opinion.

SandyMac 03-18-2012 06:38 AM

Check at Walmart or at a variety store.Sandy

Sally J 03-18-2012 07:01 AM

Hancocks has fusible fleece on bolts. I also use it in bags and it works so well I wouldn't change. Interfacing, even the thicker versions wouldn't seem to work well to me and the using interfacing would also force you to put batting in your bags and that's just more money and hassle to me.

jgriinke 03-18-2012 08:02 AM

I have made several bags. In the ones that now say to use fusible fleece, I like to use the Decor Bond 807, I think it's that number. I don't like the thickness that the fleece gives. I do like the stiffness that the Decor Bond gives a bag.

Jackie Spencer 03-18-2012 03:04 PM

I would continue using the fusible fleece for your bags. Its like a batting and looks nice quilted. The others have no loft at all.

pattypurple 03-18-2012 03:34 PM

You can use something like warm & natural batting and quilt it to the fabric. When I do this (instead of the fusible fleece) I add Decor Bond fusible interfacing to the lining. That gives the stability. I don't care for Decor bond on the outside, usually, since it seems more like cardboard. I get my fusible fleece at Wal Mart. The kind they carry is thicker and cheaper than I can buy a J's.