Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What's a Good Batting for a Table Runner? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/whats-good-batting-table-runner-t300780.html)

Darcyshannon 11-08-2018 07:18 PM

Is deco craft a filler?

JustAbitCrazy 11-08-2018 11:52 PM

I know someone who makes alot of tablerunners and likes Thermore. I prefer cotton, in case something hot is placed on it. Thermore is synthetic.

Mkotch 11-09-2018 03:12 AM

I used left over batting strips from quilts for my table runners. They wash well and lay quite flat. Friends have used flannel also. I don't like table runners without some kind of batting as they shift around too much on the table.

illinois 11-09-2018 03:28 AM

One placemat pattern that I have recommends flannel. I suppose it would be a good recycle of worn receiving blankets or a flannel sheet from a thrift store? Just so it has been used enough to not shrink unevenly with the outside fabrics.

juliea9967 11-09-2018 05:23 AM

I always use warm and white. It has very minimal shrinking, and I wash my fabrics prior to assembly, so the table runners always come out of the washer and dryer looking great.

kdoublea 11-09-2018 06:02 AM

Batting for table runners

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 8157710)
Sometimes I use Hobbs 80/20 fusible batt and that works well to keep a runner nice and flat. I also find using the machine binding with flange makes the edge more stable then regular binding.

I agree with Tartan - I make lots of table runners for craft shows and gifts and I find the Hobbs 80/20 fusible is just the right weight and flatness that I like. From the craft/baby quilt size of batt, I can easily cut three runners, even the extra long ones. As for binding, I prefer to stitch to the back by machine, then top-stitch on the front.

klswift 11-09-2018 06:39 AM

for table runners and tree skirts, I use flannel - plain old flannel (on sale or with major coupons, I buy it for about $2 per yard). It gives it a little bit of fluff without making it 'wobbly'. (My go to rule is if I can sit a delicate wine glass on it and not have it wobble.) Being 42" wide, it works for most of these projects and for a custom extra wide skirt, I buy the wide flannel. I joke about how I want to put my money on the tops, not on the inside. And since I am in the business of making money with these items, I try to keep the costs down. When I do a show, I do offer matching potholders/trivets for when they are using hot dishes and with these I do use insulbright.

carolynjo 11-09-2018 06:51 AM

A note on using wool or heavy fabrics. For years I used Army blankets. I wash them to shrink them and then put them in table runners, etc. They worked well, and I could usually find them for $5.00 at A/Navy stores. They were heavy enough to stay in place.

SusieQOH 11-09-2018 07:04 AM

Thanks for all your replies! You are the best! :)

Debbie C 11-09-2018 08:09 AM

When felt is on sale, I stock up and use two layers. Protects my table well.