Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What's a good size for a rag quilt for a 1 yr. old? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/whats-good-size-rag-quilt-1-yr-old-t79300.html)

karenm36 11-28-2010 02:24 PM

I bought some bright flannel...2 bundles of the same 5 different coordinating colors... plus I have one additional piece that matches the colors I bought...so there's six different fabrics that I'm working with. It looks like I have enough to make a quilt 40 inches by 28 inches. Though if I cut a bunch more of the one odd fabric that I already had...I might can make it a little bit larger without going out a buying more. Is this large enough or should I go ahead and buy another bundle and make it larger? And if so, how large would one recommend? Thanks for your input!

Sadiemae 11-28-2010 02:29 PM

Others will have more ideas, but 28" seems really small to me.

icon17 11-28-2010 02:36 PM

How about 3ft sqare? 8-)

quiltjoey 11-28-2010 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by karenm36
I bought some bright flannel...2 bundles of the same 5 different coordinating colors... plus I have one additional piece that matches the colors I bought...so there's six different fabrics that I'm working with. It looks like I have enough to make a quilt 40 inches by 28 inches. Though if I cut a bunch more of the one odd fabric that I already had...I might can make it a little bit larger without going out a buying more. Is this large enough or should I go ahead and buy another bundle and make it larger? And if so, how large would one recommend? Thanks for your input!

I haven't made a crib quilt but am planning to and bought crib batting and the measurements are like 40" x 60 which seems large. Don't know if this helps but will be reading some of the other quilters comments so I can learn as well. Thanks for asking a good question statement...

Nana2Sew 11-28-2010 03:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I make mine using 8 1/2" squares. I sew with 3/4" seams and sew 5 rows across and 7 rows down.
This size fits the crib and the youth bed. Kids grow up so fast and the rag quilts last forever.

amma 11-28-2010 03:43 PM

40" X 40" is considered a baby blanket... 40" X 60" would fit a crib/toddler bed :D:D:D

jodimarie 11-28-2010 04:01 PM

For a one year old, you ''could get by'' with a 36 inch square but it won't last long because the child is going to grow out of it. It would be a nice drag around little keepsake since this is all the fabric you have, I would go ahead and make it up or you could buy more fabric and make it bigger to start. A one year old would not be able to drag around a bigger quilt, so maybe the little quilt would be a good idea after all....it would be well loved by the child.

jodi in leavenworth

bakermom 11-28-2010 04:13 PM

How do you picture the quilt being used? as others have mentioned, a larger one would be used longer but a small quilt could become a "lovey" that would be carried everywhere.

karenm36 11-28-2010 05:46 PM

40" X 40" is considered a baby blanket... 40" X 60" would fit a crib/toddler bed

Originally Posted by bakermom
How do you picture the quilt being used? as others have mentioned, a larger one would be used longer but a small quilt could become a "lovey" that would be carried everywhere.

I'm grateful for the measurement guidelines since I've never done anything like this before. I know now to go for at least 40 x 40. And the question how will the quilt be used...is a great one...'cause I'm not sure! I'm thinking it would be nice for it to fit her and for it to be kind of a "lovey" that maybe she can use on her on baby dolls as she grows. I intend on making her a really nice quilt when she gets a bit older and I know her personality and what she would like so that I can make one with her input. But for now, I wanted to make something easy and quick that she can enjoy at this young age. I appreciate everyone's input!