Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What's the least amount of $ you've spent on making a quilt? Have you ever made one out of completely recycled materials, including batting (exception - thread)? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/whats-least-amount-%24-youve-spent-making-quilt-have-you-ever-made-one-out-completely-recycled-materials-including-batting-exception-thread-t142514.html)

quilter68 08-05-2011 06:59 AM

On the low end,,,family clothing

On the high end...I admit nothing

I am working on one for DDIL and it took me a year to find and collect all the fabrics. I am not sure if I even want to add-up the receipts.

Annaquilts 08-05-2011 07:22 AM

I work free or low cost items in if appropriate. Batting is often the trickiest as I am hesitant to use batting I am not sure what it is. One of my friends bought low cost batting and the sales person told her it was for quilting. After she washed it she found it dissinegrated. She had stipled it so it was not an issue of it being quilted too far apart. I have no problems using old blankets and flannel sheets as batting as I know they will hold up. I often use fabric that was given to me as backing or as part of the top. This is for quilts that are used more as utility quilts or for baby quilts. Lately I find myself mixing the expensive fabric with the lesser Walmart etc. as my funds are significantly less then they were years ago. I rather keep quilting then give up because of cost. I am selective when I use given or less expensive fabric. I try to make sure it is strong. I also check garage sales for fabric but I find it often is vintage and not of as good a quality. Eventhough the print is cut eit is ahrder to work into quilts with modern fabrics. I currently have a small stack of such fabrics and plan to make a scrappy quilt exclusively from fabrcis from that time frame. One will probably be calicos and one will most likley be kid and kitchen type prints.

klarina 08-05-2011 07:59 AM

I admire people who save money and recycle. I too try to save wherever I can. I buy fabric at garage sales and thrift Stores. The only thing I haven't made is to buy a second hand comforter and use it as batting.

butterflies5518 08-05-2011 09:26 AM

As a newbie I have alot to learn - I have spent a bundle on fabric and batting!

justflyingin 08-05-2011 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by LindaM49

Originally Posted by ptquilts
I actually recycle thread by taking old clothes apart, carefully, from one side of the seam and you can save the long piece of thread on the other side, wind it on a spool to reuse.

HAH - had you going there for a bit didn't I??!!

DH would do this, he is WAY cheaper than me...

LOL...my dad would have done this too.

My mom used to save the thread she used for making gathers. No kidding! :)

wendyweb50 08-05-2011 09:55 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I've made a number of quilts lately that cost me nothing but my time and the thread cost. I got a fabric free from Craigslist or freecycle.org and created my own pattern. I've attached a picture of one of the baby rag quilts that cost me nothing.

The blue & pink quilt was all free fabric and used clothing I cut up - I just bought the batting.

Primary colors rag quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]236949[/ATTACH]

Blue & pink denim quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]236950[/ATTACH]

nycquilter 08-05-2011 10:03 AM

Basically all my scrap quilts are "free" as I use the fabric that most throw away and I save from other quilts I've made. I also use the leftover pieces of batting. For the backs, I turn to pieces in my stash which once bought, I consider free! One of my first scrap quilts was done solely with scraps. however, I went to bed and while dreaming decided it NEEDED embellishments. So, I spent a lot of money on buttons and beads, including an antique set of buttons that were perfect. Well...my free quilt ended up costing about $70--!

Halo 08-05-2011 10:04 AM

I never bought anything but thread when I first started quilting. I made all the kids quilts out of their old jeans & used old blankets for the batting & pieced clothing for the backing. It is still my DD#1's favorite quilt. I have replaced the backing three times for her & have it back to repair again. It is over 35 years old & has taken a lot of usage. Do need to replace a few of the denim blocks this time around that are getting thread bare. You can also use the old bedspreads that have the thin batting on the backs of them for your batting. You can also use them for the backing on denim quilts. I have done several like this & they have all been loved.

jme 08-05-2011 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts
I actually recycle thread by taking old clothes apart, carefully, from one side of the seam and you can save the long piece of thread on the other side, wind it on a spool to reuse.

HAH - had you going there for a bit didn't I??!!

DH would do this, he is WAY cheaper than me...

Ooh that was funny! Your a clever one! :lol:

jme 08-05-2011 10:34 AM

I quilt for pretty low cost. I inherited a lot of fabric from my GM. I buy scraps and remnants. I thrift a lot and cut up clothes I like. My quilt shop sells batting scraps that I whip stitch together. I simply can't afford to buy expensive fabric or any fabric for full price and I'm not picky about colors and such. I also just bought a large "lot" of thread at an estate sale, around 200 or more spools for about $8.00. (which came with the cases to hold them and various other notions!)