Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What's the longest it's taken you to complete a quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/whats-longest-its-taken-you-complete-quilt-t190049.html)

stefanib123 05-26-2012 07:53 AM

What's the longest it's taken you to complete a quilt?

I am working on a completely by hand quilt, that I started a couple of years ago. It was actually one of the first quilts I ever designed and cut out! I loove hand sewing and quilting, I would just lose interest and put it aside for something else. Which I guess could also lead to another question: UFO's! LOL! I know I'm not the only one with a few of them laying around!

I hope to have that quilt finished by Christmas. I have it about halfway quilted and it's simple quilting(outline) so it really won't take me long. I just moved and don't have a sewing room yet, so I'm working on it for a while. I can plop down on the couch and watch tv while I do it, so freeing! That's one of the reasons I love hand quilting, you can do it almost anywhere.

So, am I the record for taking a few years to complete a quilt? Whats the longest it's taken you?

stefanib123 05-26-2012 07:53 AM

Haha! I didnt' realize, but that's it in my avatar! LOL!

Scissor Queen 05-26-2012 08:05 AM

It took 20 years to finish my first quilt. If they hadn't invented rotary cutters in the mean time it would have been my only quilt. It was put away for most of those years because I didn't know you could hand quilt without a frame and I didn't have one.

T-Anne 05-26-2012 08:21 AM

I can't beat twenty years :-) but I can come close, think it is about 18 years...and I still haven't finished it and never will! Detested the colors when I started it but wanted to use up my stash leftovers...still detest it! LOL

T-Anne 05-26-2012 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen (Post 5244244)
It took 20 years to finish my first quilt. If they hadn't invented rotary cutters in the mean time it would have been my only quilt. It was put away for most of those years because I didn't know you could hand quilt without a frame and I didn't have one.

I just went to your blog to snoop around. :-) I love, love, love that black and white quilt!!!!

dellareya 05-26-2012 08:27 AM

It took my 12 years from start to finish on my hand quilted sampler. Of course the birth of triplets slowed me down for a couple of years.

stefanib123 05-26-2012 08:41 AM

Ok, I feel better now, LOL! I get distracted so easy and there's so many pretty quilts to make! I see that most of us do this with one of our "beginner" quilts, too, don't we? We start them, then realize we can do better, so off we are to do a better one! LOL!

ScissorQueen, I checked out your blog, too and also LOOOOVE the black and white quilt!

And the fabric bowls!!! I want to make some of these so bad, but I live hours from any crafty type store (live in the boonies) so I guess I will have to order the stuff online. I love how they look, though! I've been looking for a low, shallow bowl for my coffee table and I could totally customize these!

Holice 05-26-2012 09:09 AM

I still have the box and two blocks and fabric from my Bi-Centennial quilt, started in 1974. Does this make it a work in progress, a work forgotten in the process, an abandoned quilt. Or, one that had good intentions to begin with but dropped by the wayside. Perhaps it is time to let it go and use the fabric for something else. But this doesn't answer your question which is about a quilt that is worked on periodically and not abandoned to the back of the closet.
I have one that have been working on now for about a year and do pick it up occasionally to make a few new blocks.

skowron5 05-26-2012 09:13 AM

This morning I finished a wall hanging that I started in 1998.

Kitsie 05-26-2012 09:17 AM

I can tell its going to be the Dear Jane I'm doing now! I'll let you know in a few or 20 years!