Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What's the matter? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/whats-matter-t75056.html)

patdesign 11-12-2010 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by MommaDorian
Of course, I can't take it back to the dealer. I bought it from Wal-Mart about 4 years ago.

Bummer. Of course that is why Walmarts prices are so good, no service. I am not familiar with this particular machine, but I have owned a number of Brother machines, most of the time all the info you need to know is in the manual, it is just not easy to find and not couched in terms that some of us may be using. I bought a packet of page flags and flagged the pages that I had to keep referring to on my embroidery machine. Most of the time I can figure out things by looking at the machine. I teach sewing lessons and my students bring their own machine. Most have been Brothers bought from Walmart, so I have asked them to start bringing their manuals. Nearly all machines work on the same basic principles, then you get to the unique features to that machine. Tensions are something basic to all machines and pretty much the same just presented differently according to manufacturer. :)

MommaDorian 11-12-2010 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by patdesign
A lot of those Brothers have little plastic plates on top that you just guide the threads through and it automatically sets the bobbin up to feed the thread properly.

That's what mine has too.

patdesign 11-12-2010 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by MommaDorian

Originally Posted by patdesign
A lot of those Brothers have little plastic plates on top that you just guide the threads through and it automatically sets the bobbin up to feed the thread properly.

That's what mine has too.

I just looked up a pix of your machine on line, and the specs say there is a dial on the machine to control tension. This dial will control the top tension. To make the top tension tighter, turn the dial to a higher setting about 1/2 a setting at a time and stitch about 2 or 3 inches, look at the stitches to see if the same thing is happening; If it seems improved try the next half number and check again, that way you will not overcompensate. I still think it could be the problem I had with mine, in which case you might try un threading the machine and taking some dental floss through the slots and then moving back and forth to see if it will clear anything that might be stuck in the tension disc. Other issues could be a needle inserted backwards or different weight threads between to an bottom, sometimes it is a process of elimination, but I always start with the tension discs first. :-)

Suzy 11-12-2010 02:10 PM

Please don't touch your tension screw. Just a little to your left where the bobbin is sitting down in the case bring that bobbin thread back to your left while holding the bobbin down with your right hand, with the thread in your left hand bring it back close to the edge of the bobbin case make it go into a little metal groove and then possibly into another little slit farther left then bring it forward on the top so when you bring the thread up with the top thread it is caught in those little slits on the edge of the bobbin case which is your tension for the bobbin. It is your bobbin tension which is on the edge of the case. I hope you can see where I am talking about. will make 100% difference in your stitches.

Good Luck

Suzy

ree-nee 11-13-2010 05:08 AM

I was experiencing this with my Juki and I did all the above and then changed needles. I hope you get it going again

Deborah12687 11-14-2010 06:19 AM

I discoved that this looping out of the thread like this can be caused if the needle is slightly bent and also if the needle is dull.