Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What's in a name? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/whats-name-t276116.html)

Pete 02-26-2016 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Dina (Post 7477126)
Our guild did the same thing several years ago. It sounded strange to me at first, but I got used to it, and it does define the intention of the quilt. I like that terminology now.

I have not, however, got used to calling our raffle quilt a "donation quilt." Somehow it was decided that here in Texas we couldn't call a raffle quilt a raffle quilt. I think whoever started this idea is just mistaken....but we have called it a "donation quilt" now for at least two years.

Dina

I am in Texas and we still say raffle quilt

quilting cat 02-26-2016 10:35 PM

Some guilds have been using the name "comfort quilt" for quite a while. When you give one to someone in chemo, for instance, they don't want to fell like a charity case!

twinkie 02-27-2016 03:37 AM

I like the term comfort quilts however when I hear it, I think of someone sufferring from a terminal illness. Not sure it is important to find a word to describe your project. I would just call them quilts of love.

kuntryquilter 02-27-2016 04:23 AM

Our guild calls the raffle quilt an opportunity quilt. The reason we can't call them raffle quilts is because it is illegal to gamble in the state of Tennessee, but we have a state lottery. Double standards, I think so.

JENNR8R 02-27-2016 05:04 AM

I can't wrap my brain around "comfort" quilt. That sounds like something I would make my granddaughter.

I don't see anything wrong with "charity" quilt. It describes a quilt that is being donated... not made for a loved one... there is no confusion.

citygirlsews 02-27-2016 05:56 AM

I think the word "Charity" can take on a different meaning. Some quilts should be used for "dog beds" instead of giving to those in need. If a quilt does not live up to our standards before gifting it, it should not be given to "Charity". I like the word "Comfort Quilts" also.

citygirlsews 02-27-2016 06:08 AM

Love this idea. Not all people needing or receiving a quilt, want to feel like a person in need. They may very well be in that situation, but they do not want to feel that way. The word "charity" has a different meaning for them, than it does to the one gifting the quilt.

sewbizgirl 02-27-2016 06:17 AM

The word 'charity' means LOVE. When did that become a derrogatory word?

maviskw 02-27-2016 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by citygirlsews (Post 7478290)
Love this idea. Not all people needing or receiving a quilt, want to feel like a person in need. They may very well be in that situation, but they do not want to feel that way. The word "charity" has a different meaning for them, than it does to the one gifting the quilt.

Which of the ideas here do you love? I've seen several that I like.

Dina 02-27-2016 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by linda8450 (Post 7477463)
Alabama has the same rule, no raffles. We call ours "Opportunity Quilt" and sell tickets just like a raffle with a drawing.

I like that....Opportunity Quilt. Wonder if my guild would like that. Thanks.

Dina