Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What's next? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/whats-next-t15030.html)

nor'easter 01-04-2009 03:23 PM

So, it's a new year, the holidays are over, the Christmas quilts are (hopefully) all in their new homes, the house is back in order, and now it's time to start something new. :D

I'm starting a quilt for my sister-in-law in northern lower Michigan. It's log cabin and bright hopes blocks in black moda marble, three shades of brownish fern prints, and a bit of very deep brick red. She lives out in the forest just like I do and the quilt is symbolic of that environment. It's called 'For the Love of Meg' and is in memory of the puppy she gave me (she's a breeder) when I divorced her brother. Meg was a tri-color Sheltie, the colors of the quilt.

What are you working on, or planning to start next, now that the crazy days are over?

beachlady 01-04-2009 03:44 PM

Working on a mystery quilt that is suppose to end up 64 by 64.

My biggest project for the next couple of months is getting this house ready to put on the market to sell. We have movers coming on Thursday to take all the extra junk/ furniture to a storage unit. Cleaning out closets, cupboards and anything else to declutter 17 years of living here! Attic is on our list this week too.

Going to try and quilt a couple of hours each day or at least organize a new sewing room as I am not going to hide my sewing. Moving it into my office and people can just deal with it!!

Skeat 01-04-2009 03:45 PM

your new project sounds great!! I so love Moda:)I am working on my UFO's....owning them and finishing them and have 3 down/done now! I am also going to read up on that quiltville mystery...I just might bite that new thing tomorrow:))Also, I really like that homespun/antique looking quilt in BHG magazine..front cover. Shirtings like the snowball pattern...cute! (I just picked up some more fat quarters for that...shhh!)

Renee 01-04-2009 04:29 PM

I have a quilt planned for my friend's daughter who is expecting a baby March and I have fabric bought to make my daughter her quilt (she's been so patient). I also have to finish my 2 son's quilts, I think I want to make them a tad bit bigger. They've been patient too, they were told they couldn't have theirs until Gabby's was done and then hers got put on the back burner because of Christmas projects. I told her as soon as I get the baby quilt done hers is next! Then once all of those are done I just might make one for myself, which I have not done yet.

gigi2landon 01-04-2009 06:24 PM

Let's see I just finished the top Mothers and Daughters, it needs to be quilted.

I also finished teachers pet, it needs to be quilted.

I've started cutting sitting pretty.
I've started an applique wall hanging that's now turned into a lap quilt.

I'm collecting fabric that has grapes on it or wine bottles or corks, etc.

I have to have everything in order prior to spring as I will most likely move outside once the time changes and work in the gardens that I have started all over the place.

mpeters1200 01-04-2009 06:53 PM

I've started a lap sampler for my Gramma. I am documenting on paper and with pics this particular top, and it's posted in the pics section.

On plans for this year are 2 baby quilts. One will be a D9P with classic Pooh in there somewhere. I'll probably make another D9P for the other quilt, but unsure of the colors. It will wait until the baby's born. If they have a boy, it'll FINALLY be a boy and I know the mom would appreciate some baby boy fabric. We shall see.

Also, I want to make a couch size quilt using The Wizard of Oz fabric. I can't stand the movie (sorry folks) but one of my closest OK friends just loves it. She got me a little Dorothy ornament before I left, knowing how I feel about the movie, thinking that I would think of her. Like I wouldn't think of her anyway, she's my best friend! But the quilt is still in the planning stages of my mind. I hope to have it done by next New Year.

blahel 01-04-2009 09:21 PM

Well i had planned on making mum a lap quilt for when she is in her wheelchair but life has its ups and downs and unfortunately mum passed away before i could even start making it. i already have the fabrics which i had specially selected for her and now i just look at them and stroke them and think of mum.
But life goes on and because i am a newbie to quilting I take forever to make anything.I still enjoy the challenges that quilting brings and am looking forward to trying progressively more difficult projects.
I have just started making my 16 year old son a drunkards path quilt in black and white but dont hold your breath as it could be years before it is completed! :roll:
I think i will make the cats a blanket each as well this year as they are definitely achievable for me! My other thought is to make my dad a quilt but want to make him something really special so will have to put my thinking cap on...

Zoo 01-04-2009 09:24 PM

Great topic!

I'm just finishing up an overly large batik frabric lap quilt for myself, just the border and binding left to do...fingers crossed.
Next I want to do a lap quilt for the husband, a grey and blue "winding ways", but I'm having some problems with fabric selection.
I do have fabric for a quilt I want to make for our guest bedroom, it's kind of a "primative asian" thing as far as the fabric goes....(as apposed to using all those realy nice asian themed fabrics that are so popular right now.)
This is the first year I'm seriously doing machine quilting so I'm kinda nervouse and kinda hopefull.

This is all assuming my sewing machine keeps up it's end of the deal, I have my suspicions it might need to go in for a check-up.
Zoo

GailG 01-05-2009 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by blahel
Well i had planned on making mum a lap quilt for when she is in her wheelchair but life has its ups and downs and unfortunately mum passed away before i could even start making it. i already have the fabrics which i had specially selected for her and now i just look at them and stroke them and think of mum.
But life goes on and because i am a newbie to quilting I take forever to make anything.I still enjoy the challenges that quilting brings and am looking forward to trying progressively more difficult projects.
I have just started making my 16 year old son a drunkards path quilt in black and white but dont hold your breath as it could be years before it is completed! :roll:
I think i will make the cats a blanket each as well this year as they are definitely achievable for me! My other thought is to make my dad a quilt but want to make him something really special so will have to put my thinking cap on...

I am sorry to hear of your Mom's passing. Take that fabric that you were going to use for her quilt and make one for yourself. Everytime you snuggle under it will be hugs from her.

henryparrish76 01-05-2009 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by blahel

Sorry to hear about your mom. And I like Gail G's idea about what to do with the fabric you had specially selected for her quilt.