Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What's the oldest fabric you have? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/whats-oldest-fabric-you-have-t109796.html)

Hen3rietta 03-24-2011 04:02 AM

Irish linen for shirts dating from about 1920-30.

Camping Betty 03-24-2011 04:19 AM

I have some blocks grandmother gave to my mother when I was born ( 75 yrs ago) she never finished putting the blocks together. so i don't know what to do with them I am not very creative .

countrycottage 03-24-2011 05:57 AM

My mother believed in saving everything. During my high school years in the late 1950s and early 1960s, most of my skirts were very full, with about three widths of fabric in them. Mother removed the skirts before discarding the bodice or waist band when they were no longer wearable. She used many of them to make aprons, but I still have several, which I treasure. I also have a very old feed sack that my neighbor gave me. I especially treasure a quilt my mother made for me called an "Oddfellow Quilt." It is made from octagonal shaped blocks, and each block is of a different fabric. These fabrics date back to the 1930s, up to the 1970s. It contains fabrics from my grandmothers clothes, my mothers, my sister's and mine, and finally my own children. My granddaughter enjoys looking at the quilt with me and hearing about the different fabrics.

Judie 03-24-2011 07:06 AM

Oh goodness, I have some fabric that was my grandmother's.. and I'm in my middle 60's, so you know, it's very old.. but beautiful and strong.. that fabric has come a long long way now, and I fully intend to use it when I get the chance because it still has a long way to go.

Olivia's Grammy 03-24-2011 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by grandma Janice
some that are older than 40 or so years. I have a few feed sacks and I have no idea how old they are.

They stopped making feed sacks sometime during the late 40's or early 50's. Depends on where you get your info. So you feed sacks are about 50+ years old.

darlin121 03-24-2011 11:03 AM

I have some Gingham that my grandmother did chicken scratch on. I would't part with it for the world. About 80years old.

fabric_fancy 03-24-2011 11:22 AM

i have some japanese fabric that dates pre WWII

DebsShelties 03-24-2011 12:46 PM

Do the quilts I have that were made in the 1800's count?

Plain Jane 03-24-2011 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by mrsreeves2
Since my mother's death on March 2 I have inherited her stash. So far I have found yardage that measures 36" wide and have not seen that since my high school days - 36 years ago. I also have some blocks that were sewn by my great grandmother and her daughter-my grandmother. These are of 1930's fabrics--not repros, the original stuff. I continue to unearth more treasures every day! I was told there is a box in the attic with scraps from the clothes mom made us when we were babies (us kids range from 57 yrs to 51 yrs old). Can't wait to find that box!

MrsReeves2, my mom also died on March 2. When I visited her in January she wanted to give me all her fabric, but I didn't have room in my suitcase. She was not a quilter, but I will find something to do with her fabrics.
I'm sorry for your loss. I know you must miss your mom as much as I miss mine.

lorraine43 03-24-2011 01:07 PM

Holly Hobbie print"cotton"I think from the 60's