Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   what's "in" right now? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/whats-right-now-t281174.html)

tapper 08-09-2016 03:33 AM

what's "in" right now?

I know everyone has preferences when it comes to fabric and patterns. I love the look of batik quilts but have not used them. Thebatiks are very expensive in this area. I started quilting in 1996 and loved those fabrics with small floral designs. I forget the name. I still feel a happiness when I look at quilts that I made using those fabrics. I think it's because they remind me of my childhood.
I like traditional patterns but lately I find myself drawn to the more modern, geometric patterns....lots of solid colors.

I know these things go in cycles...what goes around eventually comes around again. I seem to always be late to the party!! I was in at the LQS yesterday and couldn't believe how many fabrics were large florals. Are they making a comeback? What's trending these days in fabrics and pattern choices?

Just as a side note...my all-time favorite fabrics are paisley designs.

HillCountryGal 08-09-2016 04:12 AM

For me..
What's in? Whatever puts a smile on my face.

Good for you supporting your local quilt shop.

Raggiemom 08-09-2016 04:31 AM

That's a good question, I'm not sure just what is the current "in" style. Each of the quilt shops near me has something a little different which is great for the variety. Batiks, Robert Kaufmann, and many of the Moda lines can be found in my sewing room though :)

maminstl 08-09-2016 04:35 AM

I think just about everything is "in" these days. We are lucky to be able to find almost any style of fabric we want.

mario1360 08-09-2016 05:00 AM

I love it all, small and large florals, monochrome, batiks, I adore paisley fabric.....Kaufman, Fassett and Moda and anything else in between....I am planning my retirement in 2017 and I must have enough fabric for 50 projects awaiting ....and while 2017 is still far away I still hit the fabric stores weekly.....getting ready. I must admit that I do not own anything in brown tones.

QuiltnNan 08-09-2016 05:40 AM

from the posting in pictures, i would say that the folded candle mats/wreaths are definitely in. i was at a guild meeting the other evening and the guest speaker had attended quilt market with the designer of that pattern. the designer had been completely overwhelmed with the processing of the pattern orders over the winter holidays. i really like the looks of them, but gravitate to the ones which look like they are made from hexagons

TeresaA 08-09-2016 06:31 AM

I think everything and anything you want to do is what's in.

Makes me sad when my hobby has so many rules, like it seems to more and more today.

Do what you like. The world is your oyster. Quilts are supposed to last for many years through ins and outs.

(Also, if you're anything like me, even if you do something that the main stream considers "in," by the time you finish your quilt it will be out of style ;-) )

Jgal 08-09-2016 07:03 AM

I love it all, small and large florals, monochrome, batiks, I adore paisley fabric.....Kaufman, Fassett and Moda and anything else in between....I am planning my retirement in 2017 and I must have enough fabric for 50 projects awaiting ....and while 2017 is still far away I still hit the fabric stores weekly.....getting ready. I must admit that I do not own anything in brown tones.

Mario, like you I knew when I was retiring and hit all the sales epecially end of bolt sales for those large pieces for backing. Called it my 401K plan. 14 yr later still working from stash & 401K stash.
As far as what is "in" ,what ever suits me at the time. It's my quilt and it only needs to make me smile. Have enough ribbons so now am pleasing me.

starshine 08-09-2016 07:35 AM

I think there are things that seem to trend, especially after something like a market event. But also designers, magazines, and books coming out with their new line or issues spark trends. One woman I talked to who worked in a LQS said they were stocking a lot of Civil War because that was what their regular customers seemed to buy and they had some batiks and modern styles to attract new customers. So I think some have a plan to do a little of everything; some stock a couple of designers that are popular in there area, some the lines the owner likes; bottom line I guess is they have to stock what would sell to stay in business so it probably depends on the types of fabrics they sell the most of at the time. I have seen that in most shops I have been in the batiks are a little more than other fabrics. But I also think they are very popular. But when I go to a quilt show I see all varieties of fabrics and styles of quilts. So I agree with go with what you like for your own enjoyment. If you are making a quilt for someone else have them go with you and let you know what they like.

ManiacQuilter2 08-09-2016 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by HillCountryGal (Post 7622870)
For me..
What's in? Whatever puts a smile on my face.

I agree!! I have never cared what is in or out over the decades I have quilted. I quilt what I want to make with whatever pattern that tickles my fancy!