Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What's sad about being a quilter... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/whats-sad-about-being-quilter-t158224.html)

kerrytaylor 10-06-2011 06:37 AM

Newbie here. Brand spanking new to this entire additive craft and my only regrets is I didnt start earlier. Yes we are unique in our thoughts and pursuits, personally I wouldnt have it any other way. Ive received numerous afghans but no quilts. Oh, my first blankie WAS a quilt from my little Grammy, a little loveworn now. With that, I am giving my first quilt to me me me and I do just love it. Im on vacation and going to my first HL todayyyyyy so good things come, either way. :)

cmilton 10-06-2011 06:39 AM

so true. the closed i came was a round robin quilt.

dglvr 10-06-2011 06:44 AM

I'm a better giver than taker. But yeah that is true.

Caswews 10-06-2011 06:56 AM

Been given one ! from my grands its a small one but I keep it none the less, it was made with love, and tenacity!!!

Hmmm Rehab: when the house is clean, the DH is gone hunting for a week and one can do whatever one wants to do without having to pickup after the DH. Quilting in the jammies with a cuppa coffee, sleeping in, Hmmm.. what else can I do ? LOL Ohh the possibilities !LOL

Glenda m 10-06-2011 07:11 AM

I have the Broken Lone star quilt top that my GGM, GM amd my dear mom all worked on. I had always wanted to make one like it, so...the first quilt I ever made was a Lone Star. Talk about jumping in with both feet!! I had sewn all my life, so the end result wasn't to bad, but let's not talk about those 1/4 seams. LOL

bizzyquilter 10-06-2011 07:32 AM

I would rather give than take, but when you think about it....it's so true. I quilt, knit, crochet, etc...and give to all in my family, what I get back is..."What are you making next?".... ha..ha..

karate lady 10-06-2011 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by HomespunHandmaiden
You know what's sad about being a quilter?...No one ever makes quilts for us. I make quilts for other people but no one has ever given me a handmade quilt :(

that is why the very first pieced quilt I made is on MY bed. smile. so far everything elseis for family and friends. :lol:

MarshaM 10-06-2011 08:07 AM

Gosh you are so right!!!! Never has that happened and I also make cakes and no one ever makes me a cake!! For my 50th Birthday party.....I thought......yeah maybe someone will make me a pretty cake as this is my first birthday party......WRONG!!!! LOL Some one was suppose to but she paniced and bought it from Price Chopper!!!! Crap!!! lol lol

Covered in Threads 10-06-2011 08:08 AM

What's sad for me is not enough time in any given day to sew, sew, sew only because I still work outside of our home. But I have to share that I in fact have a number of handmade quilts: my father's handsewn Queen size patchwork, 2 quilts made for me by my guild during the years I served as their president, and 3 I received during a scrap bag exchange program we did in the guild for 3 consecutive years in a row. I have any amazing guild, very generous and I feel blessed to know them all.

Alondra 10-06-2011 08:13 AM

I was fortunate enough to have been given some quilts by my grandmother, who made them, but I don't find it sad that nobody else has given me quilts. Many people have stepped up to help me when I needed it, and for that I'm very grateful. Each person has his or her own way of giving, and it doesn't always include quilts. Maybe your quilting friends think that since you make quilts, you surely wouldn't want or need theirs. Don't be sad. :)