Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What's wrong with me? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/whats-wrong-me-t223503.html)

J.M. 06-12-2013 11:15 AM

My least favorite parts is marking my quilt top. I'm always struggling with how to best mark it, and with what, and at the same time terrified I'm going to ruin my quilt by not being able to get rid of the marks afterwards... So yeah, everybody has a part they're not too fond of, and most of the time that's the part that you continually put off.

jrhboxers 06-12-2013 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by scisyb220 (Post 6117997)
Maybe you're just apprehensive about the results,so you don't move on.

I think that is my problem. Especially now with the issues I am having, hand quilting is so much harder now. And there is no way I could quilt on my DSM. It about killed me just putting the bindings on the three quilts that Leesa quilted for me. {Maybe it was because I ended up binding all three within two weeks.} Someday I might get a mid-arm but Leesa is going to be finishing up for me in the near future. I just tied two baby quilts, and that was hard enough.

Krisb 06-12-2013 04:07 PM

I am terrified at almost every stage of the process. Picking out a pattern can take two days. Pulling fabric results in a pile twice as big as needed. Then it ferments for a few days until some say "No" and some say "Yes" and some say "Maybe". A trip to the fabric store may be required. Cutting really scares me. Then piecing. Then doing the sandwich--I am always certain there will be folds. Marking is a day or two more, because the idea of designing the quilting pattern is also pretty scary--what if it is just stupid or doesn't complement the piecing? Quilting takes a day or two up o two weeks. The only fast part is the binding, because I am eager to get to the hand stitching on the back. Love that step.

But almost without exception, only DH knows how difficult each stage is. People just see the results and they love it.

Nammie to 7 06-12-2013 04:09 PM

I have more experience piecing so it comes easier to me. I'm a novice when it comes to quilting so it takes me a while to get up my nerve to start that process. Once I do I am learning to enjoy it too!

RuthiesRetreat3 06-12-2013 04:14 PM

That sounds like what I used to do. When I had over 20 quilt tops, I finally bought a long-arm machine and quilted like a demon. First couple were iffy, while learning, the rest came together real good. So......I think you're just ready for a long arm machine. Now, if I could find an easy way to attack those bindings....

RGAY 06-13-2013 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by mom-6 (Post 6118122)
Glad to know I'm in good company! However I want to get this one done and I just can't seem to move forward on it. At the rate I'm going I guess I might as well just start hand quilting on it.

Yes! An added bonus of hand quilting - it goes so slowly you can formulate your quilting pattern as you work - you don't have to design the quilting pattern entirely. One small stitch at a time. Less intimidating that way!

brenwalt 06-13-2013 03:43 AM

Some people like to make the tops. Others like the quilting. I'm always happy when the top is finally completed and I can do the quilting. I'd rather quilt than make the tops!!

Dragonomine 06-13-2013 04:12 AM

I hate cutting and ironing!

quilttiger 06-13-2013 04:19 AM

Mom-6, you are just fine! I love all the processes of making a quilt except...you guessed it...getting started with quilting on my midarm frame. I do have some ideas for quilting, but I often stand in front of the quilt on the frame and scratch my head, lol. When that happens, I simply force myself to take that first stitch, and I am okay after that. Sometimes I surprise myself. It does become easier with time.

Kris P 06-13-2013 04:21 AM

I hear you! I have several tops that are awaiting basting and quilting. I even have the backing for most of them. I spray baste, so I can't even use the arduous process of pin basting as my excuse. In essence, I don't know how I want to quilt them and I'm afraid to mess them up with less than beautiful FMQ. This is especially true of a quilt that I made with all quilt shop fabrics ( an unusual luxury for me). Now my fear is that by the time I finally do some thing with it, I will no longer be in love with the pattern and fabric choices. I'm considering just paying to have it quilted so I can start using it.