Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What's wrong with this quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/whats-wrong-quilt-t272441.html)

avgquiltr 11-19-2015 08:30 PM

What's wrong with this quilt?

1 Attachment(s)
I made this quilt because I wanted to do the Warm Wishes pattern. I also wanted to do the 4 patch posy blocks. Ever since I finished this quilt, I have not liked it. Did I choose the wrong solid colors? The whole color scheme looks bad to me. I am not wanting any compliments. I just want some honest critiques about what is wrong with this quilt. It is perfectly usable, so I will probably donate it to a local women's shelter.

Fieryphoenix 11-19-2015 08:33 PM

The colors just don't go together I don't think

BETTY62 11-19-2015 08:37 PM

The only thing I see wrong is that it doesn't belong to me. I love it.

pojo 11-19-2015 08:41 PM

I think it is very nice. YOu can send it to me.
I really like it.

yngldy 11-19-2015 08:52 PM

It is a nice quilt! Sometimes I hate the fabric or color choices after I finish a quilt, too. At least you tried the patterns you wanted to try. And you can see from the comments, others like it. Just chalk it up to another experience, gift it and quilt on!

EasyPeezy 11-19-2015 08:55 PM

I honestly don't see anything wrong with it. It's a nice Christmas quilt.
Maybe you're just tired of looking at it.

patski 11-19-2015 09:02 PM

Sorry, I agree it is a very nice quilt. IF you truly don't like it , donate it, the recipient will be delighted

Novice.for.now 11-19-2015 09:03 PM

As you see from the comments, everyone has different taste and eye for color. It is a nice quilt but for me, I think I would like it better if there were an accent color. I don't know but maybe a little black or a very light color. The colors blend together a bit too much for me. But as I said, it works beautifully for some. Not a waste, I'm glad to hear that you have a place to go with it. Have fun with your next quilt.

Kassaundra 11-19-2015 09:03 PM

Honestly I don't see anything wrong w/ the quilt. It is very expected, the colors perfectly matched to the print. I think it is the perfect quilt for someone who buys the "whole bedroom set" maybe you like to mix and match "your bedroom set" instead.

Prism99 11-19-2015 09:08 PM

I think the quilt is lovely. However, I can see why it would not appeal to everyone's taste.

A color scheme of red and green really speaks Christmas. If you had chosen a gold fabric instead of the light yellow, I think the Christmas theme would have carried through. As is, it's not definitely a Christmas quilt so it has a bit of an identity issue. The strongly patterned red fabric pretty much takes over the quilt what with large pieces of it framed, smaller blocks of it in the sashings, plus a wide border. Combined with the solid red, this puts a *lot* of red in the quilt -- which some people find cheerful, and others find unsettling. (Sounds like you are one of the latter!)

I also think that this quilt is a little matchy-matchy in that all of the solid colors appear to be perfect matches to the colors found in the print. Every color in the print is represented exactly by one of the solids; there are no "extra" colors in the quilt, no variations of the colors, etc. This, along with the layout (nothing on-point), makes for a relatively static quilt. The eye, as it roams across the quilt, simply comes across the patterned fabric again and again.

But, frankly speaking, lots of people would be thrilled with this quilt even if it didn't turn out as you envisioned. Most of my quilts are like that.