Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   what's wrong with this top (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/whats-wrong-top-t36614.html)

Rettie V. Grama 02-14-2010 07:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I think the Sun Bonnet figures are adorable and I think the colors are outstanding. I recently made a Sun Bonnet Sue quilt for my granddaughter. Thinking she had a twin bed I made the twin bed size. When spoke with her mother I was informed she had a double bed. This quilt had been finished and quilted, mind you. It also had a lot of purple in it, so I went to a fabric store, bought purple quilted fabric and added an 8 inch border all around. It is beautiful and the idea of using the quilting fabric to extend the size was not only a time saver, but also made the original portion of the quilt stand out.

Sun Bonnet Sue quilt w/quilted border
[ATTACH=CONFIG]6875[/ATTACH]

Rettie V. Grama 02-14-2010 07:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is the Sun Bonnet Sue with the Purple Quiltee border. It also shows the lining when fabric was used to extend it.

sueisallaboutquilts 02-14-2010 08:37 AM

What a treasure from Grandma!!! :D
I love it!!

flybreit 02-14-2010 08:47 AM

As always, lots of good advice here. How would you feel about quilting the yellow blocks with a purple/blue (one of the other colors in the fabric) - might tone down the yellow a bit...just a thought!

littlehud 02-14-2010 11:15 AM

I think it looks just fine. A yellow border would be great.

BARES 02-14-2010 11:19 AM

As others have said -- my first thought was that it needed yellow binding. That will set off all the blue just perfectly. I don't think I would put anything on the bonnet -- unless you wanted to outline the band in yellow stitching to bring it out a bit. I think you have a beautiful quilt.

I should have said border. :oops: :thumbup:

Rettie V. Grama 02-14-2010 12:30 PM

Hi Susie All About Quilts

I loved making it.

Thank You!

Virginia

Texas Yankee 02-14-2010 01:50 PM

Adding something with yellow in it for a border would pull it all together. Also, the idea of flowers on the hats (a lighter yellow or lavender/lt. blue) may be an idea for additional embellishments.
It is a beautiful quilt top - great job!

Texas Yankee 02-14-2010 01:52 PM

The hint about quilting the yellow squares with a blue/violet/ or another color from the prints used, will tone down the yellow some too.

gmcsewer 02-14-2010 08:05 PM

Hi. you sure put a lot of work into those blocks. They are so cute. If you have a program that will print photos you could take a picture of the block and print a lot of small copies. Lay them out like a quilt and use fabric or colored paper to experiment with sashing, corner stones, corner pinwheels. I am not good at visualizing without actually seeing it. A wavy border done with the block with the quarter circle in the corner (I can't think of the name right now) would maybe set it off very nicely. When I think of the name of the block, I will post again.