Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What's in Your Book?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/whats-your-book-t78631.html)

dltaylor 11-25-2010 05:53 AM

I have read several threads where quilters speak of Quilters Notebooks. I was wondering what's in your books? Also, I would be a great idea for people to post some of the items, tables, calculations etc. for all of us newbies!

lauriejo 11-25-2010 06:26 AM

I haven't started one, so will be interested to see the responses.

CarrieAnne 11-25-2010 06:35 AM

I dont really have a Quilters Notebook, but I have a big Binder filled with articles, ect, that I have saved, and things Iprinted off the internet, like free patterns.

AnnieF 11-25-2010 06:37 AM

I have a couple of 3 ring binders with the plastic sleeves. If I'm making a quilt from scratch....using graph paper to figure out the yardage....how many blocks to make and which ones....I put this in the sleeve. Sometimes I put in a sample of the fabric and the templates in case I want to use them again. On the graph paper, I indicate the date I started and the day I finished....who it's for, whether I machine quilt it. Also....separate from this binder, I have photo albums....I take a picture of each quilt I make so I can go back and look at them.

Five years ago, I was having a problem keeping track of my quilting projects (I'm one of those who has 8 or ten going at the same time) and it seemed like I wasn't getting anything completed. It happened to be May 1 and I sat down wih a pad of paper and listed all of my projects. I check off each project as it's completed (you know the last stitch). It's amazing how much you accomplish but forget about....and when you're searching for a quilt project to work on...there's usually one on the list I can pick up and finish. At the end of April, I review the list....transfer over to a new list the ones that are still pending and start again. I remember, once I was trying to figure out why I hadn't made as many quilts as I thought I should of...that was the year I made a full bedroom ensemble for my daugher...douve cover, shams, curtains, wall quilt and quilted, padded cover for her bench. It does help!!

deema 11-25-2010 07:01 AM

I have a gridded field memo pad that I stole from my hubby. LOL I have never used an actual pattern to make a quilt - I see an idea that I like and map it out how it suits me on paper. DH's memo pads work great for drawing out a single block or a couple of blocks to make a pattern with measurements, colours, yardage needed, blocks needed, etc., noted under it. Once I have that "perfected" I use a large sheet of graph paper to map out the whole quilt. Then I pin it to the support beam beside my sewing table.

dsb38327 11-25-2010 07:06 AM

I have good intentions. :-)
I haven't been diligent and have not put them in one place yet.
I kept a journal on my work copy of the Swish pattern. The journal seemed to help me keep my thoughts together. The amazing part was the hours I logged.

CarrieAnne 11-25-2010 07:08 AM

Annie, such a great idea. I really need to do the same...I am so unorganized, lol!