Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What's your fabric "personality"? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/whats-your-fabric-personality-t231115.html)

Butterfli19 09-26-2013 02:47 AM

What's your fabric "personality"?

Do you find you buy the same themes - florals, large prints, geometrics? Or color schemes - blues, greens, violets or reds, yellows, and blacks? Do you prefer making large quilts or baby quilts, or items such as runners or tote bags? Are your picks vibrant, subdued, or a mix? Do your fabric selections mirror your clothing, color-wise and theme?

Sitting here stitching the binding on changing mat #1 before leaving for work and I started thinking of how much I'm drawn to the fun prints and vibrant colors of fabrics created for children, and wondering if that's the direction I should stay in. In the past my focus fabrics were mostly florals, but after I gave away most of my stash* and kept only what I love, I seem to be really drawn to the bright colors and patterns and happy faces of bears, frogs, princesses and dragons.

My clothing, although I'm definitely a jeans girl, is colorful as well - jewel colors and patterns and swirls - a change from the neutrals of what I used to wear.

*No gaping, lol. Best thing I did. Had years, like 20+, of fabric and knew I would never get through it so when I sold my Babylock I gave the woman two bins of fabric - she was elated! Now I choose carefully, trying only to purchase what I will use, because I feel less guilty about spending money on what I may not use. Having said that, I'm not opposed to buying a panel or yard of something that screams to come home with me. I'm not that disciplined! ;)

Jackie Spencer 09-26-2013 03:28 AM

I like everything! Jewel tones, pastels, subdued, florals, plaids, dots, stripes. I love the shades and tones in Kansas Troubles and in thimbleberries. I love the whimsicals from Buggy Barn too. Guess thats why my stash is so huge!! LOL!

nanna-up-north 09-26-2013 04:17 AM

Great Question.... I think I have trends and then change as well. I love the rick dark colors that thimbleberries uses, also have an oriental box of stash. I also have a box of civil war prints, 30's repro fabrics, and homespun. I think most of us have that box of holiday fabrics, kids novelties, etc. I absolutely love so many batiks and tend to look for fabrics that are solid enough to use for applique. I really steer away from florals. Since I love finding deals at estate sales and garage sales, I do get a mixed bag at times...... but my stash is minimal....... so I can go shop for that special something when I'm starting a new quilt.

ontheriver 09-26-2013 04:29 AM

I love all fabrics but my fav is 1930's and anything bright and colorful.

BellaBoo 09-26-2013 04:36 AM

I rarely pay attention to what the print pattern is. I buy in darks, lights, and mediums. I mix Civil War with 30's fabric and florals with batiks.

nhweaver 09-26-2013 04:41 AM

I tend to make gift quilts for friends and family members, and try to match something important to the recipient in my project. And then I have fits of buying something totally different, and funky like Laura Burch and Fassett.

I like most fabrics, but my favorites are the William Morris/craftsman line, Jinny Beyer color and prints and lately beachy fabrics. And fall fabrics in oranges, cranberries are currently tops for me.

I do not especially care for the 30's or the 50's types of prints, but some of them have found their way into my stash. I am not a big fan of gingham either.

quilter1 09-26-2013 05:32 AM

If you saw my stash, you would wonder about my thought patterns. LOL. For one thing, it is huge, and it has all sorts of styles and patterns and colors. Sometimes I like the traditional florals, then pastels and jewel tomes, then modern prints too. I must concentrate on buying blenders and solids now though, there are many patterns in my stash and less fabrics that read as solids. I don't usually buy a range of coordinated fabrics, preferring to put the fabrics together myself. If I made a quilt for myself, it would likely be batiks in purples, although I love reds, blues and greens too, probably not yellows so much. Although it did paint my new sewing studio a pale yellow, guess I am just fickle- or is that creative?

omacookie 09-26-2013 05:40 AM

Big stash includes florals, med to darks with prints. I have almost NO neutrals, white, black or blenders. Have very little children prints as I like to make scrappy baby or lap quilts. In clothing I very seldom wear white and NERVER wear black, brown, orange or greens near my face. What is my personality ?????Mixed up I guess.Hugs

Suzette316 09-26-2013 05:42 AM

I gravitate to pastels and jewel tones, and virtually never brights or primary colors unless it is a gift for someone who I know will love these colors.

But the truth is, my taste in fabric changes so often I have parted with most of my stash and buy mostly precuts now. This way I keep it fresh with each quilt and go with what I'm feeling at that time.:)

Neesie 09-26-2013 06:00 AM

I have multiple fabric personalities, depending upon my mood.

It's odd how we can see two very similar fabrics, yet one will trigger positive emotion and the other, negative . . . with no apparent reason. It's as if the fabrics are the ones with personalities.