Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What's your favorite [b]Permamnent [/b] fabric marking pen (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/whats-your-favorite-%5Bb%5Dpermamnent-%5B-b%5D-fabric-marking-pen-t26230.html)

wvdek 09-29-2009 07:36 AM

Since October is pastor appreciation month, I have decided to make pastor and his wife a memory quilt and present it to them.

I want each family/single person to have a signature block and will incorporate that into a 12" block to make a full sized quilt. I plan on getting each family/single persons block signed at church during the month of October and then finish the quilt during November and December and present at Christmas.

Our pastor has to travel to three churches to preach on Sundays so we have lots of time for this (obtain signatures) between when he arrives and when he leaves for his last service. I thought it would be better than trying to send little packs of fabric home along with umpteen fabric pens and then expecting everyone to return the 'stuff' the following Sunday.

I also am going to ask each family/single person to pick out 1/4 yard of 100% cotton fabric and bring to me so I can make their block and place the signature block in the middle. For the single men or elderly who may not be able to get out, I will take some of my stash to church and they can choose from that.

So, my question to all of you wonderful talented folks is: what is the best marker that will not wash out or fade in the laundry?

I know Sharpie's don't work on fabric very well and Zig Memory System fades in water, so now what? I though of Craylola Markers but they are broud tip so to speak and for someone like me who writes big, this would take up alot of space. I like using a .05 mm point for writing because of how it gives a clean line.

Your thoughts and ideas are appreciated. And yes, I will begin posting pics as the quilt takes shape if this all works out ok.
Thanks ladies and gents for your help.

Maride 09-29-2009 08:01 AM

Many pens in the market are good, but I doubt you will find anything that will stand to repetitive laundry, especially with the detergents that we have now a days. When I thing of a signature quilt I prefer to think of a wallhanging or a large quilt that will be hung on a wall or even framed and out of direct sunlight. Even the best marker will fade when exposed to water and detergent often. I saw someone use the signatures as a pattern and embroider over each one to preserve it.

Maybe someone else will proof me wrong.

Maria

tlrnhi 09-29-2009 08:04 AM

I use a fine line Sharpie. Once whatever it is I've written, I let it set for a couple hours, then I'll heat set it with the iron. So far, I haven't had any problems with it washing out or fading.

Bluphrog 09-29-2009 01:16 PM

I've used both fine tip and regular tip Sharpies, then heat set with a DRY iron. I press both the front and back of the block. Maybe that's redundant, but it makes me feel better LOL!

Tip 1 -- take some pieces of fine grit sandpaper (they come in 8-1/2" x 11" sheets), and have the signer place the block on the sandpaper. This will prevent the block from slipping while they are writing on it.

Tip 2 -- don't stack the blocks until you're sure the ink is dry!

Tip 3 -- I made some "frames" from cardboard to cover the outside edge of the block 1/2" all around the block. That way, no one signed uin that area and none of the message gets lost in the seams.

MadQuilter 09-29-2009 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by wvdek
I know Sharpie's don't work on fabric very well

Says so right on the box. One of the gals at the guild used the Pigma pen and heat set with an iron.

Bluphrog 09-29-2009 01:42 PM

If it says "permanent fabric marker" it should work.

Jim's Gem 09-29-2009 03:19 PM

Careful. I've sent a quilt to my daughters Army unit to be signed, some of them grabbed sharpies, and they bled into the fabric. I heat set it all very well and warned the recepient of the fact that it may fade when washed (It was a home of the brave quilt, a young man in her unit was killed and the quilt went to his daughter)
I prefer the pigma pens, use a wider tip and have them write boldly and press. It may fade over time but at least they don't bleed.