Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   what's your favorite free motion quilting design? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/whats-your-favorite-free-motion-quilting-design-t281786.html)

RedGarnet222 08-30-2016 09:41 AM

When I am in a hurry and it is a quilt that needs lots of support for heavy use, stippling all over works great! It depends on the design though. With embroidery work I like free form echo. With a outside border, I like to do a straight lines repeated or channel stitched look. It is a nice look and washes well. All over Cross hatching with a walking foot is a fast and acceptable quilting alternative too for baby quilts.

soccertxi 08-30-2016 04:21 PM

I am a feather girl! Try it out on a white board still you like your feather shapes and figure out how to get around corners. Make yourself get STUCK in a corner so you know how to get out of there! I could feather everyday....its fun and mesmerizing...

luvspaper 08-30-2016 04:48 PM

feathers..... They seem to go fast and fill the space well most of the time.

my other favorite, but not used as much is lined pebbles (sometimes I like to do them as the spine of the feathers)

MadQuilter 08-30-2016 05:23 PM

Love to do feathers but I also like loops, pebbles, leaves, paisley, clam shells..... The only one I cannot do is meander/stipple.

FabQuilter 08-30-2016 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter (Post 7640979)
....... The only one I cannot do is meander/stipple.

Ditto. I cannot do meander/stipple no matter how I try. I started with feathers and enjoy FMQ them. Slowly I am attempting a couple new stitches.

rryder 09-03-2016 03:35 AM

I like things that add texture, so I enjoy doing pebbles and matchsticks a lot, but I also like doing feathers, paisley, clamshell, flowers, loops and spirals. I also enjoy fmqing with rulers as well, I use them when I want circles, curves and straight lines without any wobbling. Come to think of it I like doing just about every Fmq design I've ever tried, though I have to admit that for some reason stippling has never been my strong point. I also like to sit down with smaller (1 yard or less) pieces of fabric or felt and just doodle--- it's a great no stress way to try out new threads, color combinations etc and sometimes end up with a nice little wall piece.

Rob

tkhooper 09-03-2016 03:48 AM

Cobblestones are my least favorite. I've liked the rest that I have tried. Zigzag echo's are hard but I keep trying.

Stitchnripper 09-03-2016 03:52 AM

Before I would even consider FMQ I was fascinated by a large meander. I mastered that, pretty much, and have done some other designs, and will probably continue practicing, but to me there is something satisfying about the meander. It's not all I do, because I still do straight line quilting too.

mjhaess 09-06-2016 11:32 AM

I like meandering....

vschieve 10-07-2016 12:36 PM

Stippling and Feathers.