Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What's your preference.........? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/whats-your-preference-t68093.html)

mom2suki 10-03-2010 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
I don't miter, except for the binding.

For some reason, I do the same thing. The only thing I miter is the binding.

hobo2000 10-03-2010 02:40 PM

It depends on the fabric for the borders. If they are just solid fabs or small print, I don't mitre, but if one is a border fabric, then I stack and mitre.

QuiltswithConvicts 10-03-2010 03:06 PM

This diva doesn't miter unless she's using a border stripe! ☺

brushandthimble 10-03-2010 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by twistedstitcher
When there's multiple borders I like to sew all the strips together and miter the corners as if it's one border.

Same here!

MadQuilter 10-03-2010 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Maride
Sew the strips together and then miter. Otherwise is a pain to match them.

When I miter, that's what I do. Multiple borders seem to work better in a miter.

Many times I don't use a miter when I have sashing and corner stones in the center. A straight border seems to work better with the sashing/corner stone design.

dsb38327 10-03-2010 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Crlyn

Originally Posted by bearisgray
can we see the quilt?

Another one of those "it depends on . . . " questions

Yep sure can see, but not until it's finished :-D it's a bargello.

bearsgray, what do you mean "it depends on?"

Can't wait to see it!!!!!!!! Gald you posted this. I have learned from the answers. I am dragging my feet on mine because I have added the sash and couldn't decide if I wanted to do a binding. I couldn't get it to look right in my mind. Now I know why and what to do.

Sadiemae 10-03-2010 05:18 PM

Another question is, What is the intended use for the quilt? i.e. Are you going to submit it to a show?

No, it will be put to good use, not that that makes any difference to me, because I still like to do my quilts to the best of my ability. :D

I don't know why you made the assumption that I don't do things to the best of my ability. I am actually very picky about my work(sometimes to an extreme). I just prefer not to miter all of my corners! If I were to submit anything to be judged, I would miter all of the corners because many judges look at that. That is the only reason I asked the question!

Crlyn 10-03-2010 07:30 PM

Another question is, What is the intended use for the quilt? i.e. Are you going to submit it to a show?

No, it will be put to good use, not that that makes any difference to me, because I still like to do my quilts to the best of my ability. :D

I don't know why you made the assumption that I don't do things to the best of my ability. I am actually very picky about my work(sometimes to an extreme). I just prefer not to miter all of my corners! If I were to submit anything to be judged, I would miter all of the corners because many judges look at that. That is the only reason I asked the question!

I'm sorry if you have taken this the wrong way Sadiemay, I wouldn't for one moment think that you don't do things to the best of your ability.......I can't think why you have even made this assumption from what I have said. I'm talking about myself here no one else.........thank you again for your help with my question.

littlehud 10-04-2010 07:59 AM

I only do mitering if there is a pattern on the fabric. For solids I don't do it.