Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What's Your Quilt Horror Story? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/whats-your-quilt-horror-story-t18669.html)

beachlady 04-08-2009 04:48 AM

k3n, I am laughing at your reply!! Thanks for the morning chuckle.

Key4, I hope you are ok and forgive my laughing. But I do agree with kn3 - OUCH!!! That is one thing I have never done.

shaverg 04-08-2009 05:26 AM

My first quilt in 1983 was queen size sampler with sashing all HAND PIECED. I got it all put together and did not know I had to align every row with the next row, and since it had a long sashing strip between rows no matching seams for some reason I just sewed, sounds great. Except when I got it all together the blocks were no where close to being aligned with the rows below. I had to take the whole thing apart. Talk about feeling stupid. The one and only quilt I ever hand pieced. Then my dear husband got me a Bernina 930, that I have to this day and love.

k3n 04-08-2009 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by beachlady
k3n, I am laughing at your reply!! Thanks for the morning chuckle.

Key4, I hope you are ok and forgive my laughing. But I do agree with kn3 - OUCH!!! That is one thing I have never done.

Yeah, I'm sorry key4 - it was mean of me to have laugh at your expense. It must have really hurt - I've sliced myself once, trying to cut BACKWARDS instead of turning the mat. I won't do that again in a hurry! :?

K x

Kyiav10 04-08-2009 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by key4unc
My quilt horror story is that I chopped off the tip of my middle finger with my rotary cutter Sunday. :shock: OUCH :( Definitely need to buy a klutz glove as this is the third time I've done/

Ouch, sorry that this happened. I also took a chunck out of my finger about a year ago. I didn't think it would ever stop bleeding. I hope it heals fast.

Kyia

MadQuilter 04-08-2009 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by littlehud
My DD loves it. Shows it to every one.

Isn't that all that really matters? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

MadQuilter 04-08-2009 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by crashnquilt
I HATE THE QUILT!!!!!!!!! I ABSOLUTELY HATE IT!!!!!!!!! I AM ASHAMED TO PUT MY NAME TO IT! I HATE IT SO MUCH I REFUSE TO QUILT AND FINISH IT! I still love the fabrics! BUT I HATE THE QUILT!

Gee, I guess you REALLY HATE THAT QUILT!!! lol Have you thought about donating it to a community service project? I had one like that and when I was finally tired of beating myself over the head for making this monstrosity, I gave it away and NEVER looked back.

MadQuilter 04-08-2009 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Moonpi
When my Dane puppy was about 6 months old.....

I actually cringed when I got to that part of your story. This happened to a gal on a different forum - her puppy ate the first quilt she made. ...but what can you do at that point?!?!?!

When I put my quilts together, I can usually tell how "good" the quilt will be by how much "help" I get from Mr. Bean and Monty (my cats). The more they romp on the layout, the better they seem to like it. Only once did they revolt: they pulled apart my quilt top and shredded the batting...and yes, I hated the quilt too.

MadQuilter 04-08-2009 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by key4unc
My quilt horror story is that I chopped off the tip of my middle finger with my rotary cutter Sunday. :shock: OUCH :( Definitely need to buy a klutz glove as this is the third time I've done/

If you are like my girl friend (who did the exact same thing - but only once) you need to wear a substantial bandage and walk around with the finger held high, telling EVERYONE that you are a WOUNDED QUILTER (big sigh). She is a drama queen.

Hope you heal soon since blood stains are hard to get out of the fabric.

Lucky Patsy's 04-08-2009 09:54 AM

I have a gorgeous Irish chain that my mother pieced for me and my aunt hand-quilted. I fell asleep once while grading papers in bed and got ink stains all over it, which I have never been able to remove! ARRRRGGGGHHHHH! I toy with the idea of picking out the quilting and removing the worst pieces and trying to replace them, but I am too scared to try it!

motomom 04-08-2009 09:54 AM

It is kind of amazing to me that what I think will be cool actually turns out to be a dud. To me the real test is how tired I get of looking at it on my quilting frames.

I'm kind of there on the quilt I'm working on now. It gets more juvenile every time I look at it. I can't wait to get it finished and off of my frame, and in the hands of the recipient. She loves it.