Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Wheelchair Lap Quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/wheelchair-lap-quilts-t263392.html)

sval 03-31-2015 05:00 AM

Wheelchair Lap Quilts

I offered to make lap quilts for the residents of the Memory Care Unit where my mother lives.

The head coordinator there was very eager to have them. Her suggested size seems too small to me. She says 20x30. I understand avoiding the wheels is very crucial. But to me that sounds more like a placemat.

I don't want to offend her since she's the professional. But I also don't want to make 6 lap quilts that can't be used.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

SVAL

ManiacQuilter2 03-31-2015 05:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have been making quilts for men in wheelchairs for our church group and we were told no bigger than 36" x 36". I try to use flannel when possible so they won't slip off. You might just make one with her dimensions and see if the size really does work. This one is at a friends mounted on her LA waiting to be quilted.

PenniF 03-31-2015 05:15 AM

Perhaps you could make one 20 x 30 - take it in and test it - saying that you just want to be sure they are right before continuing. She might see that they need to be bigger.
I would bet that she is measuring the width of a wheelchair seat and not allowing for drape. The ones i made my brother were 30 x 30....which allowed for tuck around his legs/hips

Jeanne S 03-31-2015 05:17 AM

That does seem really small! The lap quilts I make for our senior center are approximately 36-40" by 42-48".

sval 03-31-2015 05:24 AM

I will have to mail it as it is 4 hours from my home. But I think it will be worth it.

Thanks for the quick responses.

SVAL

tessagin 03-31-2015 05:29 AM

20x30 isn't a whole lot bigger than a fat quarter. When you visit your mother again take some measurements and/or a piece of yardage.

tessagin 03-31-2015 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 (Post 7148153)
I have been making quilts for men in wheelchairs for our church group and we were told no bigger than 36" x 36". I try to use flannel when possible so they won't slip off. You might just make one with her dimensions and see if the size really does work. This one is at a friends mounted on her LA waiting to be quilted.

Love your quilt and the colors!

Pinkiris 03-31-2015 06:30 PM

Sometimes, people who don't sew are terrible at estimating things in inches! Only make one until she sees the size. Maybe just a top so you can add on to it. I really like the idea of using flannel for backing so it clings.

Bless you for your willingness to comfort the folks in the nursing home.

janedee 03-31-2015 08:01 PM

I made one for a friend of mine, cannot remember the size but I cut the bottom corners off so they didn't catch in the wheels.

lynnie 04-01-2015 04:31 AM

Maaniacquilter. love your wheelchair quilt and the masculine colors too. great work.