Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   When to Call it Quits (or How Batik HSTs Kicked My Butt) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/when-call-quits-how-batik-hsts-kicked-my-butt-t161725.html)

Val in IN 10-20-2011 05:20 AM

Don't you just LOVE those HST's??? Thanks for the morning chuckle, hope the rest of your thoughtful gift goes easier for you. BTW, just a little tip for you: Gnats HATE the scent of vanilla. I buy those "Christmas Tree" car air fresheners in vanilla scent and pin it on my blouse. Works like a charm. I always wondered why the farmers around here had them hanging from the back of their caps. Finally got up the courage to ask and they told me about keeping the gnats away.

Baloonatic 10-20-2011 05:30 AM

Cotton = vegetable = good for you! :-D

Can't wait to see a pic of what you're working so hard on! :D

ccrow99 10-20-2011 05:49 AM

Grambi...nothing but sympathy here. Have had those days, usually just give up, chalk it up to a bad vibe for the day, and give it h*ll the next day. If I walk away and then go back, usually I can see what goofy thing I was doing.

GABBYABBY 10-20-2011 05:49 AM

I know how you are feeling about those HST.
I am working on a pattern called Mary's Broken
Dishes and I wish I had not started it!!! But I am
determined to not let it get me down. So it is a fight
to the finish to see who wins.

klutzyquilter 10-20-2011 06:24 AM

Can't stop laughing .. my day is off to a good start. Thank you :thumbup: Sorry you're having issues but admire your sense of humor.

AnitaSt 10-20-2011 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
here is a little secret to doing ANY quilt that takes HST's in large amounts.

look at your layout..now make a B&W photo copy of it and do it in smaller sections...like 4 or 9 blocks at a time...pin that on the wall and do the next section, etc..then connect your sections the same way..like if 2 sections make 1/2 the quilt you do those 2, then the 2 belows that to make a 4..etc...make it so much easier to go together and if you do have unstitch to realign a few, it is much easier than removing the entire ROW to get to the middle...

I agree....I have found this method to be so much better for me. Easier to be sure everything lines up.

On those butt-kicking HST's....I've been using the Triangulations software (really just a CD of PDF files) to paper piece them. The accuracy is amazing. I just made a zillion of them for a scrappy and every one is the same!

debs 10-20-2011 07:06 AM

What a day, but it definitely was beautiful one in Texas yesterday!

That is a great story, and one you will remember whenever you see the quilt!

Hope today goes better & no more threads in your tea! :D

Love your avatar, burros are such sweeties, except for my Sterling who is a pill!

Better luck on your project today with less agony!

Debs & Hemi

lovequilting2 10-20-2011 07:16 AM

I laughed out loud on that one!!! I think I would put it down for a little while and after I spayed bug repellent on and made a fresh cup of tea, I would head back to it!!! Great story...

SunlitenSmiles 10-20-2011 08:24 AM

handing you a dish full of choclate
goes well with thread

Roberta 10-20-2011 10:35 AM

ROTF :D