Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   When to cut your losses? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/when-cut-your-losses-t41068.html)

LoisN 03-29-2010 05:28 AM

I made a Carpenter's Star quilt that is king-sized. It is the ugliest quilt I have ever seen. So, I put borders on it thinking that might help. It didn't. My question to the group....do I pay to have it quilted and use it on our bed or do I cut my losses now and re-cycle the fabric (or burn it). This has been a learning opportunity on what fabrics DON'T go together. My girls laughed so hard when they saw it yesterday that they were literally doubled over. Yikes!

ghostrider 03-29-2010 05:34 AM

It's not a loss because of all that you learned from it. Not every quilt has to be finished and accepting that concept is extremely liberating, not to mention cost effective. I would call it quits with the carpenter.

Lady Crafter 03-29-2010 05:38 AM

Quilt it by tying it (or machine tying) and donate it to a charity or homeless shelter. They appreciate anything they get... and it won't be a waste of time and effort.

Lostn51 03-29-2010 05:41 AM

Donating it might be a great option for it if you hate it that much, but if you want to learn how to quilt a biggun' on a regular machine then take off and start playing around with it.

You will learn something else and wont destroy one that you love. And you might find out that you will not ever need to send another one out to be quilted....... ;-) ;-) ;-)

Billy

montanaquilter 03-29-2010 05:46 AM

i agree!! either machine quilt it to learn more or tie it, then donate it to someplace. someone will appreciate it!! that way there's no need to recycle the fabric or burn it!!

raptureready 03-29-2010 06:05 AM

I'd tie it and be done with it and use it on my own bed when I needed a laugh. If you are going to donate it, cut it in half, re-border where needed and have two twin size quilts. If it's really that bad, donate it anonomously to some organization far away. I'd love to see a picture of it. You might even post the top for sale---someone might just love it.

JJs 03-29-2010 06:18 AM

everybody needs a "picnic blanket"...
anybody says anything - you say, "this way nobody will steal it while it's laying on the ground for our picnic"..

just tie it and enjoy it - a fling around quilt that you won't get hysterical if somebody boogers it up

Ditter43 03-29-2010 06:52 AM

Can we see the quilt in question? I have never seen one THAT ugly.

Ditter

BellaBoo 03-29-2010 07:01 AM

I made a Blooming Nine Patch and it was horrible. Colors didn't bloom at all. I cut it into big squares, resewed the squares together with sashing and had a nice looking quilt. My DD claimed it.

Candace 03-29-2010 07:32 AM

Quilt it yourself and make it into a car quilt. It's always nice to have one in the car for emergencies or to throw over purchases in the back. And you won't have to worry about it fading in the sun, since you don't like it.