Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   When Cutting Fabric... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/when-cutting-fabric-t313113.html)

Watson 11-15-2020 02:54 PM

When Cutting Fabric...

...which side do you cut from?

If you are right handed, do you have the majority of the fabric to your left or to your right?

Asking because I saw someone on a video doing it different than I do and it made me wonder.

Watson

tallchick 11-15-2020 03:02 PM

When straightening the edge of my fabric, all the fabric is on the left and I clean up from the right, I then flip it with all the fabric to the right and make my cuts left to right.

Iceblossom 11-15-2020 03:05 PM

For skinny strips (say 2.5" and less), I mostly cut "standard" technique with my cut edge to the left, and then just slice along.

I still unfold every 2-3rd strip to make sure the fabric is correctly folded and on grain. You never want any sharp V shapes at the folds.

More and more I'm using two ruler techniques on any thing bigger than that. That is I have my cut edge on the right. Using ruler one, I measure in my distance. Using ruler 2 (generally the standard 6.5x22") as a straight edge, I line that up next to ruler 1, making sure it is perpendicular to the fold. You hold the ruler with your left hand, with the right, move the other ruler out of the way and make the cut.

Some of this is because of very special vision issues I have, one eye better than the other, one eye with a blind spot and blah blah blah. I mark many of my ruler lines with a bit of 1/4" quilters masking tape so I can easily and consistently see where my cuts should be even if I can't read the numbers.

I never ever ever (would capitilze and bold and do other things for emphasis) use my cutting board lines to actually cut on! Start with your plain side up and use your rulers for accurate cuts and less wear and tear on your cutting board.

edit: Sorry, about the handedness part of it. I am slightly right dominant but mostly pretty well ambidextrous, I do many things with my left hand. Goes along with keyboard (both musical and typing) skills. When I was little left handedness was still discouraged, while I would pick up pencils with either hand I was taught that "I write with my right hand".

MicheleC 11-15-2020 03:33 PM

I’m right handed and keep most of the fabric to the right, using the ruler to measure. I’m fortunate enough that I can use both sides of the cutting table so when I straighten the edge, I cut from the far side of the table with the ruler on the fabric.

I do think that if the end results are accurate, the technique that you use is what is most comfortable for you.

IrishNY 11-15-2020 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by tallchick (Post 8433430)
When straightening the edge of my fabric, all the fabric is on the left and I clean up from the right, I then flip it with all the fabric to the right and make my cuts left to right.

I do the same as Tallchick and I'm right-handed.

SusieQOH 11-15-2020 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by IrishNY (Post 8433441)
I do the same as Tallchick and I'm right-handed.

Ditto and ditto.

Iceblossom 11-15-2020 04:13 PM

Forgot to mention, When cutting from left to right, the first cut I position my fabric and make the cut oversized and perpendicular to the folds. I only turn over that strip to correct the other edge, leaving the bulk of the fabric in place.

I prewash and press and refold my fabric so it is all very straight to grain before cutting. I prefer to tear one edge prior to washing, other people feel differently about that. I don't use starch, but I do press firm.

grannie cheechee 11-15-2020 04:20 PM

I use the 2 ruler method also. I keep the bulk of fabric to the left. This is how I was taught in a beginner class. Oh, I'm right handed.

bearisgray 11-15-2020 04:21 PM

If I am cutting something like a 2.5 inch strip - I put the ruler over 2.5 inches of fabric, and most of the fabric is to the right of the ruler. I am right-hand dominant, and use the rotary cutter to the right edge of the ruler.

Julienm1 11-15-2020 04:24 PM

I had to stop and think about this....Fabric "feeds" from the right. However there are no hard rules that I'm aware of. As long as the cuts are straight and no bowing at the fold, all is well. Oh and blade is sharp with no knicks.