Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   When do you starch? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/when-do-you-starch-t206455.html)

quiltingnd 11-19-2012 05:24 PM

Am i suppose to be washing my fabric before I use it? Even fat quarters? No one has said that to me before. Not even in quilt class.

MTS 11-19-2012 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingnd (Post 5668414)
Am i suppose to be washing my fabric before I use it? Even fat quarters? No one has said that to me before. Not even in quilt class.

To prewash or not to prewash?

Let me break it down for you.

Half of the quilters do.
And the other half doesn't.

And both halves are convinced of the righteousness of their positions. ;-)

I don't pre-wash.

I'm sure you'll hear from the other contingent in a moment...................................

franc36 11-19-2012 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by jcrow (Post 5668190)
When I'm ready to use a piece of fabric, I starch it and then iron it, before I cut it up. I use Best Press mostly. Usually when my block is finished I will starch it again. Some might think I overstarch, but it doesn't feel like it. But IMO I always starch the first time I iron a piece of fabric. It makes it keep its shape so much better than non-starching. I also extra re-starch if I'm using bias cuts, i.e. triangles...

Same here. I often starch my fabrics, put them in a zip lock bag overnight, and iron them the next morning before cutting. I love working with crisp fabric. I buy Best Press by the gallon; but I sometimes use a heavy spray starch. I also starch my backing before making a quilt sandwich.

Gigi07 11-19-2012 06:13 PM

I'm with jcrow... I do the same thing

Originally Posted by jcrow (Post 5668190)
When I'm ready to use a piece of fabric, I starch it and then iron it, before I cut it up. I use Best Press mostly. Usually when my block is finished I will starch it again. Some might think I overstarch, but it doesn't feel like it. But IMO I always starch the first time I iron a piece of fabric. It makes it keep its shape so much better than non-starching. I also extra re-starch if I'm using bias cuts, i.e. triangles...

quiltingnd 11-19-2012 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by MTS (Post 5668426)
To prewash or not to prewash?

Let me break it down for you.

Half of the quilters do.
And the other half doesn't.

And both halves are convinced of the righteousness of their positions. ;-)

I don't pre-wash.

I'm sure you'll hear from the other contingent in a moment...................................

Roflmto! Oh ok. :) thanks for summing it up for me.

QuiltnNan 11-20-2012 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish (Post 5668250)
Sometimes I'll use a paintbrush and "paint" the starch on the fabric to help it soak into my applique pieces faster.

I use a paintbrush when making my paper pieced Dear Jane blocks... works fantastic!

pollyjvan9 11-20-2012 05:52 AM

I starch before cutting, and sometimes during construction, or just before squaring up the blocks. Remember to PRESS not IRON.

Jingle 11-20-2012 01:13 PM

I have made 112 quilts and never starch - anything - anytime. I doubt anyone would be the wiser. Lots do.

jeanharville 11-21-2012 07:02 AM

Jingle, I'm glad you posted about not starching. I'm new to quilting and will try both ways. But I know my grandmother didn't starch and her quilts were beautiful.

quiltingnd 12-12-2012 01:25 PM

For those that starch, do you wash your quilt before giving it as a gift?