Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   When is enough..."Enough"? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/when-enough-%22enough%22-t83578.html)

C.Cal Quilt Girl 12-17-2010 10:06 PM

Try a scrappy you may enjoy the finished piece, one of the tutorials show to sew on to a strip of adding machine tape, to make a long colorful strip, then these could be put to good use around larger blocks, or between solid long strips, and quilt as you go, can mix all up pr go with lights and darks or single color combo squares, no rules just sew, with basic outline.

May end up being a memory quilt of your quilts made, and run a log with it telling where the original pieces went :)

raedar63 12-17-2010 10:15 PM

Sell or Pif if you don't want to use them all, I would never just throw them out. You could always mail them for postage cost too.

nycbgirl 12-17-2010 10:43 PM

I have collected many scraps as well and thought I'd love to make a scrappy quilt but I find that sewing them all together willy nilly is just annoying me. So I am still saving them and going to use them for stuffing a dog bed.

Lori Peercy 12-17-2010 11:09 PM

I do not have an even middle size stash, all projects require that I purchase fabric so I save every little scrap!. I have read so much about giving to charity, the animal shelters use the tiniest scraps to put into a pillow case or something similar to make a bed for animal that are taken in. They are washed until it falls apart. Someone can always use what you can't.

ckcowl 12-18-2010 03:37 AM

for me the scraps did get out of control and last year i started responding to peoples request and giving them away...i donated a big black garbage bag to the local high school art department. i sent boxes of scraps out to people here on the board, i started making myself look through the scrap baskets for applique pieces instead of cutting out of larger pieces...the thing about scraps are they multiply like rabbits! it is so easy to turn 1 simple piece of fabric into 22 pieces of fabric...and they add up and add up. i still wont throw scraps away, i believe in recycling and sharing, if they are building i give them away to someone who has the need, desire, or motivation to put them to use :thumbup: our pre-school makes quilts every year; there is a (young-gonna be moms) school where they students are learning life skills, cooking, sewing, parenting ect...they operate on donations. when your scraps start getting out of control pass them on, they've served their purpose :-D

mic-pa 12-18-2010 03:42 AM

If you go to Bonnie Hunters site, www.quiltville.com it will give you a lot off ideas to use your scraps. I have made several quilts using her methods.

leatheflea 12-18-2010 04:05 AM

I agree completely, if your're not gonna use the fabric then it seems like hoarding and it really is just sitting there collecting dust. My plan is once my scraps box is full and it is, its time to start making quilts. You might check you local area to see if theres a group that makes quits for the homeless. We have one here that works completely on donation. They use anything, they are a church group that has a store for the needy. Everything is free if you go to shop. Any clothing or fabric that is not good enough to wear they cut up and make quilts. Once a week they meet and sew. All sewing machines were also donated. You could even make the quilts and take them to a local homeless shelter or nursing home. Nursing homes dont care what they look like either. I worked in one that used 30 x 30 lap quilts donated by local quilters. Most of the quilts were simple 5 x 5 squares sewn together. Theres many ways to take care of that stash. And Im sure that someone here on the board would be more than happy to take them off your hands.

ddrobins1956 12-18-2010 04:18 AM

I use scraps for paper piecing projects. Most of the spaces to be covered are small and then I seldom need to cut into large pieces of fabric for one of my little paper piecing projects. I always have a paper piece project on the go and try to use a lot of my scraps as I accumulate them.
Paper piece projects can be made into lots of things, other than quilts. I've appliqued them to blouses and jackets and made mug rugs and candle mats using them as the center focal point.

CarrieAnne 12-18-2010 04:43 AM

You could box them up and sell them here, or give away the box and have them pay for postage, if you have too many.

LindaR 12-18-2010 05:49 AM

my DD uses them when she sends things to her quilty friends..she has a GF in AZ and she uses them instead of "peanuts" LOL