Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   When to fix, vs when to leave as is. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/when-fix-vs-when-leave-t282967.html)

JoanPD 10-12-2016 06:51 PM

When to fix, vs when to leave as is.

I was sewing squares together for a quilt I was doing, a basic 4 patch, and when I was ironing I noticed that while several of my blocks had good or even decent points, I also had a bunch where the points were off of a little. Some of them it would be hard to tell without getting close, and others was obvious right away, at least to me.

I keep debating on myself if I should rip out the ones with the points off and redo it, or leave it as is. I keep going through the pros and cons of each option.

I was about to write out the pros and cons for each option, but doing that I realized I figured out what I was doing, but am curious about what issues everyone else leaves vs tearing out and fixing?

AudreyB 10-12-2016 08:14 PM

If the seam is off more than a thread or two I usually fix it. If it is really close, I leave it alone. Sometimes pressing the seam the opposite way will make the difference. If the quilt is for a toddler who won't care, I tend to leave it. If it is for someone special, then I usually fix it.

quiltsRfun 10-12-2016 08:30 PM

I'm not that particular. I just leave it. After it's quilted and washed it's not that noticeable. According to Jennie Doan, "Finished is better than perfect." I agree. :)

Jeanne S 10-12-2016 08:37 PM

For me, it depends on the purpose of the quilt and how much the seams are "off". If it is an important gift quilt, I rip and redo to get it as perfect as I can. If it is just a practice quilt, one I am making for fun or a charity quilt, I give a little more leeway and only rip it out if it really bugs me. As others have said, lots of imperfections just don't show that much once it is quilted and washed. I don't expect perfection from myself.

Cari-in-Oly 10-12-2016 08:39 PM

I just finished a quilt top for my new great grandson that has one block upside down. A glaring mistake. I was thinking about fixing it but my grand daughter laughed and said "leave it Gramma, it's so you!" So I did.

Cari

sewbizgirl 10-12-2016 08:52 PM

My one 'rule of thumb' is this: If it bugs me, I fix it. Just follow your heart.

Dolphyngyrl 10-12-2016 09:59 PM

I fix it, it would bug me and I would know

QuiltnNan 10-13-2016 03:07 AM

i anguished over this for our quilt show this week. it was my first time entering quilts. one of my favorites had a few points cut off and the binding looked terrible on the back. one of my quilting circle friends suggested leaving it to show how far i have come in my quilting journey. but it kept bugging me... so i spent last weekend tearing it out and redoing it. i felt so much better about submitting it to the show.

donnajean 10-13-2016 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl (Post 7675703)
I fix it, it would bug me and I would know

Same here. However I had a sister who never ripped anything out.

Geri B 10-13-2016 03:14 AM

QuiltnNan.....you proved you have "come a long way" by correcting what you knew was unacceptable in your work....