Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   When and how did you start quilting? Tell us your stories! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/when-how-did-you-start-quilting-tell-us-your-stories-t60790.html)

BRenea 08-22-2010 05:46 PM

The first quilt I remember was a scrappy bow-tie we inherited from my dad's grandmother. It was pretty utilitarian but as a young child I was fascinated with all those different patches of fabric! No one in my family quilted, although my mom is an excellent seamstress and she taught me sewing at a very young age. I sewed clothing, crocheted, painted...did almost everything except quilt.
When I got married, my mother-in-law and I didn't seem to have much in common, but one time she was talking about playing under her mother's quilting frame as a child and regretting that although she sewed, she never learned to quilt. She then showed me two quilts her mother had made, one was a scrappy bow-tie, very much like the one I studied as a child! We bonded over our love of quilts...a short time later she bought me my first quilt book!
That was over 15 years ago, and we've been quilting ever since!

Leota 08-22-2010 06:23 PM

My first attempt at quilting was in 1981 when I started a "Hexagonal Wreath" quilt. I got one wreath completed and pinned to the 18" square to be appliquéd. I still have all the 1" hexagons that I cut out.
Then in 1992, my dh encouraged me to take a beginner quilting class where I made my butterfly sampler king size quilt. I'm still trying to hand quilt it.

momymom 08-23-2010 04:45 AM

It was 1990 and my DH was deployed in Desert Storm. A girlfriend and I went to the Ham Festival in Cadiz, Ky. Part of the festival was a quilt show. We admired all the quilts, both of us were experenced sewers. I commented to one of the white glove ladies that I would love to learn to quilt. The rest is history. I was invited to join in the quilt club. Turns out it was local for me. We lived in TN. They invited my 4 year old son to come with me. And later my newborn twins. Most of the ladies are gone now, but they taught me so much. I will be forever gratefull for their help and guidance in my quilt journey. A lifelong quilt journey.

BKrenning 08-23-2010 09:02 AM

We bought a nice new bedroom suite 6-7 years ago and I wanted a king size Grandmother's Flower Garden quilt to put on it. No way I was going to pay $500+ for someone to make it for me so being my usual stubborn self, I set out to make it myself. After cutting what seemed like a bazillion hexagons on paper & fabric and getting maybe 8 "flowers" complete, I became hooked on the tv show, Simply Quilts which showed me so many other patterns & possibilities that I realized hand piecing a king size quilt one 2" hexagon at a time was not going fast enough. I had grandbabies starting to pop out that needed quilts and kids still at home that needed quilts whether they knew it or not! I wonder if hubby can sue HGTV for loss of companionship?--LOL! He's got his own quilt to snuggle with anyway!

CoventryUK 08-23-2010 02:00 PM

I saw a cot panel Peter Rabbit(Beatrix Potter) in a sewing shop just after my 1st grandaughter was born 15yrs ago, also bought wadding n backing without knowing what to do with it!!Joined a sewing course at night school and the teacher was a fantastic quilter!! Most of the class were dressmaking but she was so enthusiatic and taught me how to put it all together and hand quilt! I had finished it by the next class and was hooked!! Took lots of courses and classes and have made 70+ quilts!!

CoventryUK 08-23-2010 02:10 PM

I enjoy producing tops, but due to lack of space I take them to a friend who has a long arm machine!! She does a fab. job and has quilted 20+ for me! I am working on Quilts 4 injured soldiers at the moment from recycled mens shirts and have 4 tops to take to her.I have used the disappearing 9 patch and 4into 9 patterns found on the web and they look great!! when I learn how to post pics will do so!!I am only just learning to use a computer but am enjoying finding all these goodies!!!