Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   When it's time to QUILT it... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/when-its-time-quilt-t201191.html)

Julie in NM 09-22-2012 06:32 AM

When it's time to QUILT it...

how much do you quilt? I look at all the gorgeous quits and notice almost every inch of the quilt has some sort of a design on it done on a LA. Don't get me wrong...quilting is always amazing. Guess I'm an experienced PIECER but beginner QUILTER.

So questioin is: How much do you quilt YOUR quilts if you don't send them out or have a LA? Do you SID and/or meander the heck out of it? I know I know..the phrase is "Quilt as Desired."

I don't hand quilt anymore. Only use my domestic machine.

Can't wait for the responses.

117becca 09-22-2012 06:37 AM

are you hand quilting or machine quilting? I hand quilt and I think about the blocks, the person it's for - male/female...I like densely quilted quilts. I never stitch in the ditch because a) it's hard to stay in the ditch and b) if i'm doing this work, I want people to "see" it. I do a lot of echo quilting - 1/8" to 1/4" from the seam.

Annaquilts 09-22-2012 06:39 AM

Generally a little more then is required for the batting. There is a number of inches on the bag the batting comes in. I have quilted more to put a design on but I always end up not liking how heavy or stiff the quilt is.

Toni C 09-22-2012 06:40 AM

I don't like quilts (for use) quilted within an inch of it's life. I like a soft drape. I make it balanced but tend to make it open designs. Sometimes I SID but if I meander it's open. Sometimes both. It depends what the quilt tells me it wants

Pat625 09-22-2012 06:41 AM

I also hand quilt, and do a lot of echo quilting...Lately I have been trying out using stencils, marking the quilt with chalk. The first thing I check is the distance recommended on the packaging. I love densely quilted too, but with the time involved, I don't do many that way unless it is for someone I know will appreciate it

Annaquilts 09-22-2012 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by 117becca (Post 5532550)
are you hand quilting or machine quilting? I never stitch in the ditch because a) it's hard to stay in the ditch and b) if i'm doing this work, I want people to "see" it. I do a lot of echo quilting - 1/8" to 1/4" from the seam.

I find hand quilting to leave the quilt more supple and it leaves a good drape versus machine quilted. I agree, hand quilting should never be hidden in the ditch. Also I find it harder to hand quilt in the ditch due to the extra layers of fabric at the seams.

Quercus Rubra 09-22-2012 06:59 AM

I'm currently hand quilting a baby quilt for a friend's grandson. We made Moda Bake Shop's "Pinwheels in the House"for the little tyke. What I did was two SID's in the center blocks per request, but then I'm working with my first stencil. So I have a Wave stencil pattern in the outer border that "blends" into the fabric but is still noticeable. I know that the outer portion will get more abuse and wanted something that would hold up to it a tad better. I'm using an embroidery backstitch (although @ the time I started it I didn't realize that) on the waves and so far even the backside has pretty clean lines. I'm more or less "self-learning" or as I like to say..... "Faking & Making It Up As I Go Along" LOL. So I guess it is just a matter of preference.
Tricia

Sewnoma 09-22-2012 08:09 AM

I've come to decide that I like very minimal quilting. Maybe because most of the quilts my grandmother (my sewing role model) made were tied quits and not stitched at all. I generally stick to SITD at almost the maximum the batting will allow, and I try to buy batting that allows stitching 8-10 inches apart. I do more quilting if it's a quilt for a kid that I think will have to handle a lot of washing, but still almost always SITD. I have a SITD foot that makes it pretty easy for me to accomplish.

Part of that may also be that I'm terrible at FMQ so far! LOL But even looking & handling at other people's quilts - I admire the skill and the look of FMQ (some of it is amazingly beautiful) but I like the feel of a tied or minimally quilted quilt better.

GagaSmith 09-22-2012 08:23 AM

I've just recently started fmq on my dm and have only tried a few techniques but we all have to start somewhere. I prefer the quilting to not be too tight. I think the quilts are too stiff with too much quilting. Just mho.

gigi712 09-22-2012 08:27 AM

The first thing I want to see in a quilt is the piecing. To me, if the quilting overpowers the quilt, it's too much. Quilting should compliment the quilt, not overpower it. JMHO.