Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   When it just isn't working.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/when-just-isnt-working-t265599.html)

Divokittysmom 05-24-2015 09:46 PM

When it just isn't working....

I am making a quilt for my Moms 90 birthday. I have 3 embroidered designs that will be the vertical center of the quilt. I'm creating a simple 5"Block patchwork effect on each side of the embroidered designs.
I purchased a $$ pricey layer cake that looked ok in the quilt shop but now just does not work with the design. Feeling like I failed when I picked out the fabric. I hate the thought of starting over and spending more $$$ on this but I really dislike the way the fabrics look together...colors blend but just too much repetition!! I have added some plain fabrics but still not what I wanted it to look like. First time I have purchased a precut and it just might be my last.
Hard and pricey lesson. Gotta move on

Jeanne S 05-25-2015 02:17 AM

Seems like an important gift quilt, so if it was me I would not use it in that quilt---buy something else that will give you the look you want. Save the precuts for another quilt--it won't be wasted money.

NJ Quilter 05-25-2015 02:25 AM

I agree with Jeanne...it's an important gift and if you are not 'feeling it' for this quilt, then get other fabric. Save the pre-cuts for something else. I'm generally not a pre-cut fan or buyer. Usually way too much repetition for me as well.

Trapunta 05-25-2015 02:54 AM

Good advice from the previous answers. Best to put the pre-cuts aside for a later project and get something you feel good about.

Onebyone 05-25-2015 03:59 AM

Use different fabric and forget about the first. Use is for something else. I wouldn't blame the pre cut for my decision. I have started over many times when a fabric doesn't look right. It's nothing I fret over.

Cybrarian 05-25-2015 04:01 AM

Just wondering-are scrappy quilts usually what appeals to you most, is that why you feel there's too much repetition? What appeals to your Mom-did you buy the layer cake because you thought she would like the fabrics? Wanted to ask some think it through questions before you go to purchase more fabric. I have to have some clear goals in mind if I'm going to "purchase fabric" ( which is different than if I'm going to "look" lol!)

quilterpurpledog 05-25-2015 04:26 AM

Since this such an important gift do what your heart is telling you to do-back up and start again with different fabric. You will be so glad you did. Use the layer cake for something else-sometimes they click together and often they do not. When you start to change the look of pre-cuts by adding other fabrics you can have a situation like adding black paint to white-it just doesn't work.

Tartan 05-25-2015 05:50 AM

I might use the embroidered blocks for door hanger and make a simple quilt out of the layer cake line of fabric. If you post a picture of your center blocks someone may be able to give you some ideas. I am working on a quilt top for my mother right now and I hope to appliqué I am adding to the border works because I am just not loving it!

ManiacQuilter2 05-25-2015 05:56 AM

I bought a Layer Cake, loved it used in a catalog pattern but still sits unused because it didn't work for one of Judy Niemeyer's pattern I wanted to make. I am back to pulling from my stash and only buying what I need to finish a project.

toverly 05-25-2015 06:29 AM

That has happened to me too. Sometimes precuts don't work. Start over on another quilt that you like. Even quilts that don't appeal to me, appeal to someone else.