Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   When part way through a project . . . (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/when-part-way-through-project-t194685.html)

bearisgray 07-15-2012 04:32 AM

When part way through a project . . .

Sometimes I learn a 'better way' to do something part way through a project - Example: making HST units - but the better way will look different from the 'how I was doing it' way - I usually continue with the 'old way' just so it will look uniform.

Do you change your technique as soon as you figure out it is more efficient and/or looks better, even if it will 'show' - or do you continue with the old way until you finish that item?

DebraK 07-15-2012 04:40 AM

I guess it would matter how far along I am, the impact on the overall design, and the purpose of the quilt. If it's for me, I don't care about the inconsistencies. A lesson reminder doesn't bother me.

Pat625 07-15-2012 04:41 AM

I changed how I was doing my pieces for my cathedral window part way thru,.,..too much to go back and redo, but at least the rest will be better

QuiltE 07-15-2012 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 5365951)
Sometimes I learn a 'better way' to do something part way through a project - Example: making HST units - but the better way will look different from the 'how I was doing it' way - I usually continue with the 'old way' just so it will look uniform.

Do you change your technique as soon as you figure out it is more efficient and/or looks better, even if it will 'show' - or do you continue with the old way until you finish that item?

That's one of the merits in doing a test block or two or three before going full-on into a project!

However ... and HST is an HST, isn't it?
How would constructing differently, give you a different look?
... unless you're referring to that one is on the bias, and the other is straight of grain?

bearisgray 07-15-2012 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE (Post 5366122)
That's one of the merits in doing a test block or two or three before going full-on into a project!

However ... and HST is an HST, isn't it?
How would constructing differently, give you a different look?
... unless you're referring to that one is on the bias, and the other is straight of grain?

HST was the only thing I could think of at the time -

Other examples:
Bias binding versus straight grain binding
Starching/sizing versus not (in my experience, starching/sizing makes the fabrics stretch)
Pressing seams differently mid project (open versus to the side - or vice-versa)
Deciding a mitered corner looks better than a butted corner
Or deciding that it's easier to do a butted corner than a mitered corner

Tartan 07-15-2012 05:41 AM

If it was half done and it changes the look, I would soldier on and finish it the old way. If I had just started, I would probably do it the new way and scrap the pieces I started with.

QuiltE 07-15-2012 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 5366177)
If it was half done and it changes the look, I would soldier on and finish it the old way. If I had just started, I would probably do it the new way and scrap the pieces I started with.

Are you like me, Tartan?? ... when you see HST, you think HSTax! :)

Bear ... ditto to Tartan ... if it's different, yes motor on or backtrack and create some lovely orphans for future uses!

Neesie 07-15-2012 08:30 AM

Depends upon what I'm making and whether or not it'll show. If it'll show, I've been known to undo/redo the first work.

AliKat 07-15-2012 10:23 AM

If the end result is the same and I have enough material I will definitely change the method I use.

Quilters are also artists... and artists are known for doing this.

ali

hopetoquilt 07-15-2012 02:06 PM

My quilting always gets better or looks slightly different as I move along through the project. I just keep going. It's all for fun and most changes I make are minor.