Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   When a pattern calls for 52 1/2 " by 3 1/2" (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/when-pattern-calls-52-1-2-%22-3-1-2%22-t128753.html)

susieqgc1 06-07-2011 09:49 AM

When a pattern calls for 52 1/2 do you cut the fabric lengthwise to make it a whole piece? It just seems like so much fabric to have to have.I guess perhaps they don't want seams across it.

amma 06-07-2011 09:52 AM

I have pieced backings lengthwise, or added blocks down the center, and other ways to get the dimensions needed.

Some who LA, prefer that the seam does not go vertical, as it causes problems rolling them on their machines.

I quilt my own, and will piece the backing according to who is getting the quilt, my whim at the time, and by the backing that is readily available :wink:

It is really a personal preference as to how you do this :D:D:D

donnajean 06-07-2011 09:54 AM

Yes, I would cut the strip lengthwise after cutting of the selvage. edge A 1 & 1/2 yd. piece of fabric would work. I always cut the longer pieces- sashing & borders - before others in the quilt pattern.

Originally Posted by susieqgc1
When a pattern calls for 52 1/2 do you cut the fabric lengthwise to make it a whole piece? It just seems like so much fabric to have to have.I guess perhaps they don't want seams across it.

feline fanatic 06-07-2011 10:02 AM

Some designers make their patterns so certain units are cut from the LOF so there is no stretch. Bias has most stretch, WOF has a little stretch and LOF has almost none. So I have often seen outer borders or sashing strips in some patterns from LOF to have as little stretch as possible in that part of the quilt to help you keep it nice and square in the piecing process. I also cut these units first then the balance of my pieces from the remaining yardage.

QuiltE 06-07-2011 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
Some designers make their patterns so certain units are cut from the LOF so there is no stretch. Bias has most stretch, WOF has a little stretch and LOF has almost none. So I have often seen outer borders or sashing strips in some patterns from LOF to have as little stretch as possible in that part of the quilt to help you keep it nice square in the piecing process. I also cut these units first then the balance of my pieces from the remaining yardage.

Ditto to FelineF!

If it's a printed fabric, that would require matching, I'd try to do LOF for a nicer look. And sometimes too, you just don't have the luxury of using LOF re the total you might have. Plus if you only need 52-1/2x3-1/2, you only need 1-1/4 WOF, so a huge difference in the material required.

QuiltnLady1 06-07-2011 10:12 AM

It looks like you are talking about a border strip 3 1/2" wide by 52 1/3" long. I usually go for the whole piece. If you must seam it, use a diagonal seam since that will fade into the background more easily. (I just did a pillow case with 2 borders and one of the pieces was about 4" WOF narrower than the body and the other border -- I did a diagonal seam and it hardly shows. I have done this on regular borders too.)

quiltmouse 06-07-2011 10:33 AM

that is only 1-1/2 yards of fabric.

QuiltE 06-07-2011 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by quiltmouse

vs. only needing seven inches!

quiltmouse 06-07-2011 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE

:-) True. Did I come off snippy? not my intent. Just saying it wasnt a HUGE length.

feline fanatic 06-07-2011 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE

Agreed, but how many patterns have you used where it only called for 7" of a fabric? Or where there was only one cut of 3 1/2" x 52" from one fabric? Even in a scrappy quilt the sashings are often the unifying factor so there will be more than one cut from the same fabric. I suspect the OP pattern calls for more cuts from the same fabric that will use up the better part of the rest of that 1 1/2 yards. If not, then by all means cut it WOF or make the supreme sacrifice of adding the balance to the stash! ;) I almost always go for option 2 as I love having that stash.