Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   When Perimeters Change (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/when-perimeters-change-t288420.html)

ube quilting 05-23-2017 04:41 AM

Letting the quilt take me where it wants to go is how my quilts get made. As blocks are coming together and they are really fun to make the quilt will surely be bigger. Sometimes a quilt will end up cut into scraps. Then I might have a few blocks on the wall and somebody needs a table runner for a gift so I will adapt those blocks into what I need at the moment.

A beautiful fabric that I would hate to cut will become a backing and the quilt will be as big as that backing will allow.

I almost never follow a pattern all the way through and change it up to my liking or need.

One thing I never do is cut the fabric for a whole quilt before I start sewing it together. I piece my quilts by cutting a few blocks at a time and build it slowly. I figure What if I cut the fabric wrong or don't like the pattern. I haven't wasted all that fabric.
peace

carolynjo 05-23-2017 05:48 AM

I belong t group A also.

bernamom 05-23-2017 05:48 AM

Usually group A. When I finish a top, I will pick it up and wrap it around myself and think about the size of the person it is intended and usually end up adding more. I'm not very good at judging size by looking at ##'s

Charleen DiSante 05-23-2017 05:49 AM

I don't fit in any category all the time either. Just yesterday I bought 'some' fabric and have no idea what I will make, it's like it just made me buy it. Someday I will know, but by then I'll be in category D.

judy363905 05-23-2017 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl (Post 7828668)
I'm fluid from start to finish. I never rigidly stick to a plan if the quilt seems to need something else instead.

I am with you sewbizgirl....i never put fabrics back in my stash until flimsy is completed, and binding strips are cut. :)

Judy in Phx, AZ

klswift 05-23-2017 06:43 AM

Often I tell my students and my customers that your quilt will talk to you - so listen! Sometimes it wants a certain color in the border or needs a bright snap in cornerstones or it wants to be a different size. Go with it because that is your gut coming thru and knows what it wants. Sometimes we let our head get in the way of what we know we really want.

SherB 05-23-2017 09:31 PM

I'm in group C also!

Sewnoma 05-24-2017 04:52 AM

I think I'm group "C" too. I like to call myself a "seat of the pants" quilter. Sometimes I don't have a pattern at all, just an idea. And when I DO have a pattern, it's almost always something I've come up with myself, and I typically refine and change it as I go.

It's more fun for me, that way. :)

tessagin 05-24-2017 04:56 AM

The hubs says I need to stick to the plan but I like to be "flexible".

ArtsyOne 05-24-2017 04:57 AM

I'm in C or D with every project, starting out with a picture of a quilt where I either like the color or a specific block. I never know what the end result will be.