Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   When pre-washing how much shrinkage should we expect? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/when-pre-washing-how-much-shrinkage-should-we-expect-t39497.html)

CarolLady 03-14-2010 02:31 AM

I checked the board before I did the pre-wash of my new purchases and saw that many thought pre-wash was the way to go. I didn't measure my material before washing. But I did after washing and I was shorted up to 4 inches on one item. Of the four fabrics I purchased I was shorted 1/4-1/2" --1 1/2" -- 3" and 4" I can kind of understand the 1/4-1/2" one... but the others I am having trouble accepting. Thoughts comments?
Thanks

katier825 03-14-2010 04:11 AM

The quality of the fabric makes a difference. The ones that have a higher thread count (tighter weave) seem to shrink less than the lower thread count fabrics. It can vary quite a bit. I prefer to prewash so that if there is any additional shrinkage after the quilt is done, it will hopefully be consistent, rather than alot on one fabric and a little on another.

Jois 03-14-2010 07:27 AM

That's exactly why I pre-wash. Fabrics do not shrink at the same rates.

I think somewhere in the processing fabrics should get a nice hot bath but apparently they don't, so I pre-wash. Sometimes I even find a fabric or two that bleed, too, but it is the fear of uneven shrinking after I've finish making something that keeps me prewashing.

I do buy brand name quilting fabrics, usually on sale but if I need a color I might buy anything I can. I pre-wash!

Jois

pittsburgpam 03-14-2010 07:40 AM

I pre-wash everything except for pre-cuts like jelly rolls. I always buy quality jelly rolls like Moda and when making a jelly roll quilt it's all the same fabric so the shrinkage should be the same.

If I am adding other fabric to a jelly roll quilt it is likely from the same collection so I don't wash it either.

Otherwise, everything else gets washed, ironed and starched. I recently got a FQ set from Connecting Threads and I washed them. I was BARELY able to get two 8 1/2" (total of 17 inches) blocks across some of the the 18x22 pieces.

littlehud 03-14-2010 07:59 AM

Four inches does seem a little excessive. I think you may have had a short piece to start with.

CarolLady 03-14-2010 10:56 AM

I thought the 4" was excessive. I did clip the corners of the material before pre washing to keep the unraveling to a minimum - which there weren't many loose threads out of the washer or dryer.
Thanks for the inputs and info.

MadQuilter 03-14-2010 11:01 AM

That is one good argument for always getting more than the pattern calls for. I don't measure after I wash.

amma 03-14-2010 03:56 PM

Was the one piece flannel by chance? It will shrink more so than quilting cotton...

CarolLady 03-15-2010 09:07 AM

No it was cotton and one of the more expensive pieces per yard, I purchased.

MelissaK 03-15-2010 09:11 AM

I just prewashed a bunch of jean material and all the pieces shrunk 4". I watched her cut the material, and she did cut it correctly.