Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   When to say NO to Seam Ripping??? Oh if only I could! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/when-say-no-seam-ripping-oh-if-only-i-could-t180921.html)

MarthaT 02-29-2012 05:58 AM

I agree with your decision...that's too much ripping if you can make it work without the ripping. Only you will know. On the other hand, one thing I've found to make ripping go faster is that third hand helping to hold one side tight while you "rip". If my mom didn't have someone to act as a third hand, she used to pin one side to her skirt (held tight around her leg) to act as a third hand and kept moving the pin as she went. I found a little clamp years ago, probably from Nancy's Notions, that you fasten to the edge of a table and it has a clip that holds your fabric and acts as the third hand. I not only use it to hold my fabric when ripping, but it's also when hemming a skirt by hand. Any gadget that makes an unpleasant task easier it worth it in my book!

caspharm 02-29-2012 07:28 AM

I agree as well.. if it works, leave it.

athenascooter 02-29-2012 08:27 AM

i don't see what is wrong. You are the only one that will know. Like the Amish say you are to have a mistake in every quilt as we are not perfect

Hiyadia 02-29-2012 08:47 AM

I'm not sure I know what you're talking about with the error, but it will be worth ripping, the quilt looks great, really nice colors.

Dawnmarieodya 02-29-2012 11:58 AM

I agree with the rest of the ladys.If you can add to the rest of it as stated before,I would do it.I think the quilt is beautiful and like the pattern of fabric.Very maschline.excause spelling. Your son will love it and he will love you for making it for him knowing the time and thought put into it for him.Dont for get to put a tag on back so he will remember the date and year you made it. 30years down the road he will still have it and remember your love. Thats all that counts. Just think the time you save not ripping out you can bake his fav dinner or dissert.

Rose_P 02-29-2012 01:31 PM

I think it's going to look wonderful, and nobody but you will even guess that it didn't go as planned. If you were doing this for the quilt police it might be an issue, but they're a very tiny percent to the population of the real world. I don't think you should even mention the problem to your son. He doesn't need to know about the agony that went into it, just the joy you'll have knowing he'll use it with pride.

isharu2 02-29-2012 04:34 PM

I realy don't see anything wrong with it. I think it is really pretty the way it is. Finish it out. No one will notice. jmho

KathyPhillips 02-29-2012 09:49 PM

Could you cut the seam out and redo it? You would only lose 1/2" total, 2 - 1/4" seams.

dinlauren 03-01-2012 02:54 PM

I just had the experience of spending a whole weekend ripping out 200+ seams. My blocks weren't lining up so I had to rip out about 5 seams or more on 40 completed blocks. They now play well together...........LOL. It was worth it, despite what everyone else said...."I would have tossed the project!!" I just couldn't toss it. It is for a dear friend and it's her colors so I had to plug on and finish. I only have 52 more blocks to go!!!!

serenitybygrace 03-01-2012 05:39 PM

The only thing I can see by reeeaaallly looking is the point that misses a match by 1 hair. I think your time and energy are worth more than having to spend hours and hours to rip out and fix that. No one will ever know and you aren't telling. However, only you can decide because it is your quilt and only you know what will make you the happiest about the quilt.