Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   When Scraps Attack!!!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/when-scraps-attack-t132003.html)

hobbykat1955 06-21-2011 01:33 AM

I think we all can relate...Seems my basket of scraps...yes basket always seems to to full. No matter how many scraps I use from it for other things. I've gotten better at just throwing smaller pieces away...yes ladies away...You can't keep it all

SueDor 06-21-2011 02:05 AM

You have made a man or woman very happy with your scraps. Thanks!

emerald46 06-21-2011 02:45 AM

I did the same this winter. 5 large banker boxes of fqs and more that I had stored for years and just didn't see the need to keep them anymore. They went to a senior's group that does charity quilts. They are being well used and I am pleased about that.

Painiacs 06-21-2011 03:02 AM

Good for you!!

blueangel 06-21-2011 03:16 AM

You did a good thing. You made someone else happy.

Hen3rietta 06-21-2011 03:51 AM

Sometimes for your own mental health, you have to draw the line. My mom, growing up in the depression, saved everything. It physically hurt her to throw anything that had a use out. Growing up with that was sometimes difficult. We had an entire drawer full of rubber bands, strings and refolded tin foil. Now I don't believe in tossing everything, and have a tendency to packratitis myself,(I think it is possibly genetic LOL), but I set out a few rules and periodically go through things and pass them on. Sometimes it's as simple as if I haven't worn something in x years then it goes to my favorite thrift. Same with scraps or even fabric that I can't remember why I bought it in the first place. There is always someone at my guild who is overjoyed at getting it for a project or comfort quilt.

Never feel bad about making yourself feel better. :-)

luvstoquilt301 06-21-2011 03:54 AM

Perfect. Now try to come up with a system to keep up with them. I fill a container and then take it to my guild to auction off.

You could fill a flat rate box and when it is ready---just post here for the money to mail it out.

Lori S 06-21-2011 04:49 AM

You may want to check and see if there is a Free Cycle ( on line posting) in your area and post them there. I recently found the one in my area and it helps get some things into the hands of those who can use it.

montanajan 06-21-2011 10:42 AM

No doubt someone was thrilled to receive your bags of scraps. Be happy that you "made my day" for another quilter, & do not dwell on what you might have done w/ the scraps yourself. Just appreciate you now have more room in your closet. If you get enough to PIF again, maybe label the bags "quilting scraps" in big letters for the Goodwill so thgey will be sure to pass them on as you intend.
Nice of you to think of other quilters in cleaning out your closet - I use scraps all the time for donation quilts to a children's home & am blessed every time I find a bag of scraps.

dixiebelle162002 06-21-2011 10:51 AM

I just wish the Goodwill you donated to was near me so that I could check out your "scraps". You have probably made some other quilters very happy.