Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   When Shipping Quilts or Blocks (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/when-shipping-quilts-blocks-t25480.html)

amma 09-14-2009 05:08 PM

I sent out a package that was returned to me today. I had used a Priority Shipping box that had been previously used. Thinking to be thrifty AND to recycle, I put my squares in and wrapped the box with brown paper and sent it off.

I DID NOT SEND IT PRORITY and that is where the problem arose.

It seems that you can only use these boxes or envelopes for when you pay for Priority Shipping....even if you cover them up!!!

Apparently the Xray machine picked up the logo and since my wrapped box was not labeled with a Priority Shipping Label/Postage Label it was returned to me.

The post office informed me that these boxes are provided for free for Priority Shipping only...and other use is not acceptable...I even showed them that it had been used twice by others and there wasn't a place on it left for an address or labels...they said it didn't matter... If I wanted to recycle the box, to do so in a recyling bin.

I thought I would pass this on with Christmas shipping around the corner...it takes longer to get items to their destinations, and I would hate for this to happen to you and make a gift arrive past Dec 24th.... or for a swap projects to be delivered late, or blocks promised for a special quilt like mine will now be!!!

judy_68 09-14-2009 05:13 PM

I think that shipping things is just confusing anymore. My son is in Korea for a year and the shipping rates to send him anything is outrageious.
Judy in Ohio

ghostrider 09-14-2009 05:14 PM

And they don't understand why everyone is switching to UPS and FedEx! Thanks for the heads up, amma. :)

Chele 09-14-2009 05:19 PM

Thanks for the heads up amma! When you order those boxes online, they make you "sign" a contract that is so bizarre. It says you can't use them for anything but priority mail. I've seen some creative garage sale signs made from those boxes! LOL!

I ship a lot of stuff FedEx through my business and I've found their ground service is quite reasonable. And you don't have to pay for tracking. Plus your package is insured for $100, which is included in the price of shipping. The USPS should be worried about their competition.

Tippy 09-14-2009 07:13 PM

Thanks so much for the heads up!! I frequently re-use boxes, so this is a timely warning to me.. one question .. did they refund your postage???

tlrnhi 09-14-2009 07:15 PM

I think it all depends on what post office you talk to.
I've reused the boxes, covered in brown paper bags and it has gone thru with no problem.

amma 09-14-2009 07:16 PM

No refund of postage... they said I should have asked first! LMBO like I would have sent it that way if I knew...don't know?? why would I ask... kind of a vicious circle.... LOL

amma 09-14-2009 07:18 PM

They did say that it could go through...if nothing alerts the person who is running the xray machine... I had 5 quilt blocks in the little box with some balled up tissue paper... and they seen the logo on the box somehow with the xray machine... don't know what else to say other than it is a gamble...

littlehud 09-14-2009 07:27 PM

That really seems silly. If you wrapped it in brown paper what difference did it make. Like so many things they are hurting themselves with their silly rules. They need to worry about their competition.......or they may put themselves out of business.

grammo013 09-14-2009 09:27 PM

Judy my son was in Korea for over a year and I found using the priority boxes the best way to ship. they do not add extra as long as it is a APO box.

Linda D MI