Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   When is thread too old to use? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/when-thread-too-old-use-t229491.html)

Lilrain 09-04-2013 06:38 PM

When is thread too old to use?

I recently read that if thread is two years old you should consider not using it. I can't imagine that. It will certainly continue to "age" so to speak after being used to make a quilt. So what do you all think on this subject?

snipforfun 09-04-2013 06:51 PM

Fiction! Check the Superiorh Threads website on this subject.

mom-6 09-04-2013 07:12 PM

I've used thread that I knew was at least 10-20 years old with no problems and vice versa have had problems with a supposedly brand new spool of thread.
If it passes the "tug test" ie does not break easily when given a sharp tug, then it doesn't matter if you bought it yesterday or it came from King Tut's tomb! Lol!

Tartan 09-04-2013 07:13 PM

Iif it passes the thread break test, than it is safe to use. Think of antique quilts and the quality of the cotton thread used. They were lucky if they didn't have to spin their own.

mighty 09-04-2013 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 6274412)
Iif it passes the thread break test, than it is safe to use. Think of antique quilts and the quality of the cotton thread used. They were lucky if they didn't have to spin their own.

I agree!!!!!!!

Teddybear Lady 09-04-2013 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by mom-6 (Post 6274411)
I've used thread that I knew was at least 10-20 years old with no problems and vice versa have had problems with a supposedly brand new spool of thread.
If it passes the "tug test" ie does not break easily when given a sharp tug, then it doesn't matter if you bought it yesterday or it came from King Tut's tomb! Lol!

I use a lot of this older thread when I'm making scrappy quilts. If it doesn't break easily, I use it. I have a friend who gave me lots of colors, so I have plenty to choose from. I haven't had a problem with any of them.

Jan in VA 09-04-2013 08:50 PM

I suppose if the thread this "commandment' speaks of were kept outside in the sun and dust and pollution, THEN we could talk about tossing it in 2 years. :D

Be discreet, keep your thread and fabrics behind closed doors!:cool:

Jan in VA

Lilrain 09-04-2013 09:19 PM

Thank you all. I sure couldn't figure how it could be even close to right. If thread was only good for 2 years practically everything we have in the textiles area would be coming apart at the seams

AlienQuilter 09-05-2013 01:11 AM

Sounds like a marketing sales pitch - LOL. Imagine how much thread you would have to throw away! I keep my thread in plastic cases where you can see if the color you want is in there. I would not be surprised if some of that thread was 10 years old! Are they wanting us to throw away the thread after each project?

ckcowl 09-05-2013 02:40 AM

sounds like something a Thread Salesman might say---but crazy--- I've used lots of threads that were more than 20 years old-and just fine. age has nothing to do with the quality of thread- there are a lot of variables that effect thread's (life) if your thread passes a strength test (pull off a length- hold the ends between your 2 hands & give it a tug) if it doesn't break easily it is still useable. even thread that isn't so strong any more can be used for basting.