Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   When and where did you get your Featherweight? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/when-where-did-you-get-your-featherweight-t105347.html)

countrycottage 03-05-2011 10:41 PM

I got my Featherweight in 1965. It was my first electric machine. I'd been wishing for a new machine for a long time, but we just couldn't afford one. One day one of my co-workers told me that she had a machine she'd bought brand new several years earlier, had only used it once to hem some dish towels, and that she would sell it to me for $30.00. I jumped at that, and the next day she brought it to work with her. When I opened the case my heart fell. I'd never heard of a Featherweight -- it looked like a toy to me. I found myself wishing that I hadn't told her I'd buy it. But I took it home, and immediately discovered that I loved it. What a blessing that little machine has been. It was my only machine for over 20 years, and I used it a lot to make clothes for my kids and myself. I also took in sewing so that I could be a "stay-at-home" Mom. I've had 3 Singers since then, but that little Featherweight is still my favorite. It has never given one minute's trouble, and sews as good as new.

Qbee 03-05-2011 10:42 PM

Is it a 1965? That is the year I was born and I wondered if they have Featherweights from that year cause I never see them.

Originally Posted by countrycottage
I got my Featherweight in 1965. It was my first electric machine. I'd been wishing for a new machine for a long time, but we just couldn't afford one. One day one of my co-workers told me that she had a machine she'd bought brand new several years earlier, had only used it once to hem some dish towels, and that she would sell it to me for $30.00. I jumped at that, and the next day she brought it to work with her. When I opened the case my heart fell. I'd never heard of a Featherweight -- it looked like a toy to me. I found myself wishing that I hadn't told her I'd buy it. But I took it home, and immediately discovered that I loved it. What a blessing that little machine has been. It was my only machine for over 20 years, and I used it a lot to make clothes for my kids and myself. I also took in sewing so that I could be a "stay-at-home" Mom. I've had 3 Singers since then, but that little Featherweight is still my favorite. It has never given one minute's trouble, and sews as good as new.

sak658 03-05-2011 11:13 PM

I got mine from my mom. She got it in 1957. We made all our clothes on it and she pieced a lot of quilts on it. She's gone now, but I still have the memories.

Maia B 03-06-2011 12:52 AM

I got my first and second late last year (2010) within hours of each other. I got the first off CL, drove a few hours for it. Seller was the nephew/son of the original owners-sisters. Drove home and stopped at the Singer factory outlet a few blocks from my house, to look for bobbins. They had a refurbed FW ready to sew. Bought it too! Then got a Centennial in January from Graham Forsdyke. I think I've got the lust quenched, unless I find a Chicago Worlds Fair badged FW.

Lacelady 03-06-2011 02:04 AM

I have two, a white 221, and a black 222, both from ebay last year, so no history with them.

plainpat 03-06-2011 02:34 AM

Mine was adv in local paper.A woman & her Sis had bought one the same day & had them for over 40 yrs.I had it for 15, then sold it.Too many machines & not enough space.

dkabasketlady 03-06-2011 03:50 AM

I got mine off E-bay over a year ago as a b-day gift from my DH. I don't plan on selling it. I love it and it purrs like a kitten, lol!!

meemersmom 03-06-2011 04:31 AM

I am still looking for my first Featherweight. I check CL, eBay, and the papers every day; I've told friends I am looking...nothing yet. My grandmother had two of them. I have fond memories of playing at her house up in Maine with the "tick-tick-tick-" in the background. I asked my aunt about them after my grandmother died. My aunt said she threw all that old junk away. It broke my heart. I think of my 'memere' every time I see one. I would have it for both use and display.

pumpkinpatchquilter 03-06-2011 04:49 AM

Hubby bought mine for me for my birthday a few years ago - it came from the local sewing center. It was refurbished and we paid about $300 for it...it came with the original manual, a box of attatchments, and carrying case. We paid on the high end for it but the nice thing is if you buy it from a sewing center you know it's in working order and any broken parts have been replaced. You can find them at antique shops, estate sales, yard sales, on ebay, but I wanted to be able to just go buy mine and bring it home and start sewing. LOL* I didn't have patience to hunt. ;)

Dandish 03-06-2011 04:53 AM

I got mine at an estate sale after watching for one for about 3 years. It was the last day of the sale - I got it for $100. Works perfectly, very good condition, with attachments, manual and case. We are avid yard sale/flea market goers, and it took a lot of looking to find her...;)